7.25 vs 8.75 from factory with a 318

-

dodgethis12

Reaction score
Ok.... so all 318 2bbl factory a-bodies I've ever really checked out were 7.25's... and so is the rear behind my #'s matching 72 scamp. Its a 2.76 with a traction device of some sort... pretty rare huh?? I left it alone and with the 2bbl and a light foot, it has held up so far..

fast fwd to my 70 Swinger!:cheers:...... Before I bought it, I called the owner (150 mi. away) and asked him what rear was in it.... he said I have no clue. So I told him to give a look at it from the back... and let me know if it did or DID NOT have a bolt on cover on the back. He calls back and says there is no cover on the back.... my reply "when can I be there" lol.

So she's now safely at my house.... and I have to say that this is the only 8 3/4 318 2bbl car that I've ever seen. Especially in a sedan style (ie NOT duster or dart sport). The car is all original and was purchased 1 year ago from the estate sale of the original owner. Car is 100% original all over top, paint, hubcaps, etc so Im pretty certain that it is factory.

Does anyone know the rhyme or reason as to if a 318 auto car received a 7.25 or 8.75? I cant see any difference in this 318 car and the 1000 others I've seen that got 7.25's! (Not that Im complaining, ever time I bend under the car I smile :-D)

It nothing uncommon really. I have seen many slant six cars with 8 3/4 rears and disc brakes up front. Even seen them with front and rear sway bars too. It's just some type of option package

It nothing uncommon really. I have seen many slant six cars with 8 3/4 rears and disc brakes up front. Even seen them with front and rear sway bars too. It's just some type of option package

I have ran into them also. I always thought it was to do with how good the salesman was at selling options.

so someone must have ordered this on my car extra then? The car doesnt really have any other options..... even the a/c was added on by Sears...

I guess most 318's and /6's that were lucky enuff to get a 8.75 got an open 2.76? I should really check the tag I guess, but Im sure I wasnt lucky enough to get a 3.23+ and sure grip!

A dealer could have just ordered it like that for the show room. He'll maybey the assembly line just ran out of the small rear that day. Who konws . Most of the six cyl. Cars I see seem a lot alike. Seen quite a few gold ones with black along the bottom under the doors, rimblow wheel power steering a/c auto on the column vinyl top , wood grain dashes and the extra chrome across the top of the doors by the glass and across the front of the hood.

I guess most 318's and /6's that were lucky enuff to get a 8.75 got an open 2.76? I should really check the tag I guess, but Im sure I wasnt lucky enough to get a 3.23+ and sure grip!

ya never know. Some strange cars rolled off the line. Saw a 3.23 sure grip 8 3/4 pulled from a 4 door dart

MMMM you guys have got me anxious to get this to the shop for some more investigation!! Soon as I get the 93 XJ out of the way this is going in!! Gotta get it running and check this rear end situation!! Also yank the backseat and see if I can fine the remnants of my build sheet!!!

Check to see if it has any sort of towing package... I have also heard that manual transmission cars were more likely to have an 8 3/4.

I have also heard that manual transmission cars were more likely to have an 8 3/4.

I believe you are correct. My '72 Scamp with a 318/3 speed manual came from the factory with an 8.75 with a 489 case 3.23 peg leg. I'll have to check the broadcast sheet, but I don't think it came with any special suspension/towing packages.

Ok.... so all 318 2bbl factory a-bodies I've ever really checked out were 7.25's... and so is the rear behind my #'s matching 72 scamp. Its a 2.76 with a traction device of some sort... pretty rare huh?? I left it alone and with the 2bbl and a light foot, it has held up so far..

fast fwd to my 70 Swinger!:cheers:...... Before I bought it, I called the owner (150 mi. away) and asked him what rear was in it.... he said I have no clue. So I told him to give a look at it from the back... and let me know if it did or DID NOT have a bolt on cover on the back. He calls back and says there is no cover on the back.... my reply "when can I be there" lol.

So she's now safely at my house.... and I have to say that this is the only 8 3/4 318 2bbl car that I've ever seen. Especially in a sedan style (ie NOT duster or dart sport). The car is all original and was purchased 1 year ago from the estate sale of the original owner. Car is 100% original all over top, paint, hubcaps, etc so Im pretty certain that it is factory.

Does anyone know the rhyme or reason as to if a 318 auto car received a 7.25 or 8.75? I cant see any difference in this 318 car and the 1000 others I've seen that got 7.25's! (Not that Im complaining, ever time I bend under the car I smile :-D)

I was always under the same impression. /6 and 318 cars had 7.25 and thats all there is to it. I'm glad you posted this. This info is good to know. They do have to be somewhat uncommon though, I've never seen one either!

Jake

-
Back