70-71 Duster??

-

72_Durstya

Reaction score
I would just like some peoples opinoins on what you think this car is worth, I have an opportunity to look at what seems to be a pretty solid 70 or 71 Duster. It's a forest green (orig. faded paint) 318ci 904 trans with an 8/34 rear, dual exhaust and Big Bolt Ralley rims. The interior is black and in fair condition only a rip in the front becnh seat.

I believe between $2,500 and $3,500 is a fair offer whats your opinoins?

Thanx for any feedback! Sorry no pics.

It's really too hard to put a price on any car without a full bumper to bumper inspection of the car.

Prices are reflective of the overall condition, repairs/restoration required, and the desirability of the particular car in question.

The more original the better, as far as resale prices go.

Any 1970 - 1971 Duster would have been factory small bolt pattern (4" bolt circle) so the big bolt pattern is a change from original, albeit a good change.

The 318 / 904 is somewhat more desirable than a slant six car.

If the car is a drum brake car, you will need to upgrade the brakes.

Grills and trim are starting to get pricey for the 1970/71 Dusters.

Everything else is available and generally reasonably priced.

The structural integrity of the car is critical and the car should be carefully inspected (floor pans, trunk, extensions, frame rails, rockers, etc.).

Whatever you pay should recognize whatever repairs / resto is needed.

Hope this helps.

Thanx for the reply, I realize that it depends on a lot of different things but in general a running vehicle of that description what would someon be willing to pay for it? Keep in mind I just stripped a 72 of every part it had except the rear suspension and 90% of it is in usable shape.

Thanx for the reply, I realize that it depends on a lot of different things but in general a running vehicle of that description what would someon be willing to pay for it? Keep in mind I just stripped a 72 of every part it had except the rear suspension and 90% of it is in usable shape.

Please more replies are needed!

Just to give you a comparison. I paid $1950 for my Demon when I bought it to restore. It was in good shape for a 32 year old car that had never been restored and lived in Canada it's whole life. The big thing was, it was what I wanted. It probably wasn't worth that much to other people. But, to me it was.

Jack

I paid $2200 for my 70 Duster /6, it's in pretty decent shape but far from perfect. I would think 2500 - 3500 could be a great deal if it's in decent shape and given that it's a V8 AND has an 8 3/4, both of those upgrades cost me a fair bit.

I paid $2,000 for my 1974 Duster. Original 318 and 904 auto, with an 8 1/4 rear end. Only modifications were headers with duel exhaust. Interior was in good shape. I thought I got a good deal. But 70-72 Duster seems to be more popular, which result in higher prices.

If the 8 3/4" Is posi or non posi, Could be big $$$ factor.
Also what gearing and bolt Pattern in rear gears n axles are $$$ too

The 318 can make some decent HP with a rebuild.

The 904 can take all the HP the 318 can dish out (with stock rebuild + imo a converter)

Look for the typical Rust areas... Decide what that will cost to fix.

Interior condition... Whats reuseable whats not...

Allways a hard decision on what to offer.. Take paper n pen maybe write down plus n minuses maybe?

Just my .02 Hope it will save ya $ :salute:

Thanx guys, well lets just say I'm really hoping that this is "THE CAR". I bought a Slant 6 Dart Sport a few years back for $600 just as a daily driver put $1000 worth of brakes into it and during the test drive the torsion bar spun in the frame so I sold it for what I paid for it. After that I paid $6000 for what I was told was an original 340ci 727 with an 8 3/4, 72 Duster, he had appraisel paper work to varify this and such. It turned out to be a 318ci, 904, 7 1/4 rear Duster and after stripping the car of every part the body wasn't even close to worth saving so off to the wreckers it went. I do have every single part off of the car except the drive shaft and rear end though so lots of really solid reusable parts. So this time I know every problem area and code # to look for so no one is fooling me this time! Goes to show what mistakes in the past will teach you for the future!

This is the 72Duster, looks alright eh! That is until it was stripped and sanded!

72 Duster.jpg

-
Back