'70 Dart 4-wheel drums to '71 front disc to '73-up front discs?!

-

rms492

Reaction score
Hello, my original '70 Dart (225 6-cyl.) came with front drum brakes.

Soon after I bought it, I scoured the junk yard and upgraded to front disc brakes from a '71 Dart.

Now with the age of the internet, I was able to discover that '73-up (because of large bolt pattern and one-piece rotor/hub) is preferred.

Question is, with the current set-up I have ('71 front disc), what do I need to upgrade to '73-up front discs? I ALREADY HAVE POWER BOOSTER AND MASTER CYLINDER installed for '73-up. (see here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=186852)

What else would I need besides rotors?
Control arms? Ball joints? How difficult would this be? Should I even bother? Honestly, the two-piece hub and rotor was a NIGHTMARE for me, I thought I would have to say good-bye to the Dart, luckily we figured it out and documented the procedure very well.

Thanks

RMS Try this link: http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/dbconversion.shtml

But pretty much need it all - again. Upper control arms, brake calipers ,lower ball joints, rotors. My assumption is you want to go to LBP? What about your rear, is it LBP. If you want to stay SBP, you can do the Ford Mustang upgrade listed aty the top of the Brake section in FABO?

Just ideas

"Preferred" is a wide word. The only reason the BBP might be preferred is if you are upgrading the rear axle ANYWAY, WANT different wheels, and are upgrading the front end.

So if you have a good rear axle, nice wheels, there might not be any reason to do this.

rms492, I am trying to identify some disc brakes that I have and I would like to know what are the inner and outer wheel bearing part numbers for the '71 disc rotors that you have? Thanks in advance!

Mike Gray

One benefit is the BBP calipers are much easier to source, and are much cheaper (at least in Canada). I recall paying $35 a caliper for the BBP single piston ones, whereas my cousin paid close to $300 a caliper for the SBP 4 piston (I believe).

Mike Gray, when I get home tonite, I will check and post tomorrow.

Inner: CR Services Brand, part BR6
Outer: CR Services Brand, part BR2
Wheal Seals: 17110

and last time, I got:

Inner: Federal-Mogul Brand, part BCA A2
Outer: Federal-Mogul Brand, part BCA A6

-
Back