70 Dart, how to change regular dash to Rallye dash?

-
Hey Guys,
The only thing I want to say now is that it was my mistake buying a car without doing the proper research. My best friend growing up had a beat-up 69 Dart with 340 and I really liked that car. I had a 74 318 Challenger. Nice enough but no 340. I'm going to enjoy my Dart no matter what the hell it is and I promise all that in the future I will not misrepresent the history. I am sure the car will sell itself - flaws and all.

VIN tampering is fraud. Period. Would you pay 4 or 5 times as much for your car just because? No? What about only twice as much? That's not that bad right? You'd pay double for your car for no reason, that's not a big deal. If you sell a car that's had its numbers altered you've committed a crime and deserve to be in jail....

Somebody gets left holding the bag. But I'd rather be the guy left holding the bag and lose that investment than be a dirtbag that misrepresents a car and loses my integrity.

^^^And this is exactly why all you VIN Nazis deserve to have your Mopars confiscated and be forced to drive a 1995 Jetta.

None of you care that much about the hobby.....for you guys it's all about the money. Ptoooi.

Hey Guys,
The only thing I want to say now is that it was my mistake buying a car without doing the proper research. My best friend growing up had a beat-up 69 Dart with 340 and I really liked that car. I had a 74 318 Challenger. Nice enough but no 340. I'm going to enjoy my Dart no matter what the hell it is and I promise all that in the future I will not misrepresent the history. I am sure the car will sell itself - flaws and all.

Clearly, your car is completely legal and you know that because it passed muster with the local DMV. End of story. You don't need to promise anyone anything. Don't let your Catholic upbringing make you feel guilty....you did nothing wrong.

Hey Guys,

If the car is legal, feel free to share the story. You could keep someone else from making the same mistake. It happens, there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there. While it's a real shame that you may have paid more money for the car than it's worth in light of its situation, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy the car. A 340 under the hood is a 340 under the hood, regardless of what the VIN says. I know for a fact that my 340 powered, original slant 6 car is more fun than any factory 340 ever was. From the few pictures you shared it looks like a nice car, regardless of how it was originally equipped.

If the car isn't legal, not sharing anymore information on it isn't going to protect you from the law. You were mislead, you haven't done anything wrong, and the time to sort it out with the authorities is right now. If you turn around and hide the information you've found, well, you're not a victim anymore, you're involved. Better to deal with it now and move on. If I found evidence that any one of my cars wasn't legal for some reason I'd have it inspected. Yeah, I'd hate to lose one of my cars because it was stolen back in the day and VIN swapped or whatever. But if that's the case, somewhere out there is some poor bastard that had his/her car stolen, and that person deserves it back. Obviously, that's an extreme case. But seriously, if something isn't right, get it squared with the authorities now.

^^^And this is exactly why all you VIN Nazis deserve to have your Mopars confiscated and be forced to drive a 1995 Jetta.

None of you care that much about the hobby.....for you guys it's all about the money. Ptoooi.

Give me a break! You're talking to a guy that daily drives a clone. I don't care what the stamped numbers say as long as a couple of the important ones match. That's why I bought a 1974 /6 Duster, ripped out the stock engine and transmission, and planted a '69 340 and 4 speed in the car so I could daily drive it. I don't care that it's not an original 340 4-speed car. I probably wouldn't have bought it if it was because then I would have had a hard time cutting it up. But instead I had no qualms about replacing the '74 Duster bodywork with '71 Demon bodywork, or doing any of the chassis reinforcement I needed to do to make it handle well. I build my cars to enjoy them, and that's why I'd lose money selling every single one of them. I don't care, that's not why I do it. I do it to build and drive old iron. To build what I want and drive the crap out of it.

But that doesn't mean that VIN fraud doesn't matter, or that anyone that commits or even condones it doesn't deserve to be in prison. Because they DO. It's that simple. I don't give a crap about originality or original cars. You can bet that the non-original cars are a lot more fun to drive. But that doesn't mean VIN fraud is ok. If someone pays for a car thinking it's an original hemi car, they should get an original hemi car. Yeah, I think that's a waste of money because there aren't a whole lot of people that would buy an original hemi car and drive the piss out of it, but that's the way it goes. And if I ever sell any of my cars, it's pretty easy to see what they really are. Google the car, read my build thread, it's all there. One 1974, /6 auto Duster cloned to look like a '71 340 4 speed Demon. VIN, title, and all the VIN stampings say '74 Duster, which probably makes it worth a third of what a real '71 340 Demon would be worth in the same condition. Heck maybe less.

Clearly, your car is completely legal and you know that because it passed muster with the local DMV. End of story. You don't need to promise anyone anything. Don't let your Catholic upbringing make you feel guilty....you did nothing wrong.

And if it passed muster at the DMV there's no reason to withhold the real story on it either. Be up front, the car is what it is. There's only one reason to hide that information, and it involves being a criminal- one way or another.

If the car is legal, feel free to share the story....

70CRUSH, shut your trap. Say nothing.

If the car isn't legal, not sharing anymore information on it isn't going to protect you from the law. You were mislead, you haven't done anything wrong, and the time to sort it out with the authorities is right now. If you turn around and hide the information you've found, well, you're not a victim anymore, you're involved....

....But that doesn't mean that VIN fraud doesn't matter, or that anyone that commits or even condones it doesn't deserve to be in prison. Because they DO. It's that simple.....

You did nothing wrong, 70CRUSH. Shut up, say nothing, it'll all go away.

.....But that doesn't mean VIN fraud is ok. If someone pays for a car thinking it's an original hemi car, they should get an original hemi car....

In this market, if someone buys an original Hemi car, they're either a drug dealer or a corporate banker. By extension....all Hemi buyers should go to prison :).

And if it passed muster at the DMV there's no reason to withhold the real story on it either. Be up front, the car is what it is. There's only one reason to hide that information, and it involves being a criminal - one way or another.

^^^^And now you see why I told you to shut your trap, 70CRUSH. These VIN Nazis think you're a criminal.

Like I said earlier, welcome to the forum :)

You did nothing wrong, 70CRUSH. Shut up, say nothing, it'll all go away.

In this market, if someone buys an original Hemi car, they're either a drug dealer or a corporate banker. By extension....all Hemi buyers should go to prison :).

^^^^And now you see why I told you to shut your trap, 70CRUSH. These VIN Nazis think you're a criminal.

Like I said earlier, welcome to the forum :)

You know, you don't make any sense. No one is "sticking it to the man" by committing VIN fraud. They're sticking it to the majority of us in this hobby, and I'm not talking about investors. If you thought about it for two seconds, you'd realize it's normal folks that are getting screwed the worst. It's making a car that wouldn't be worth a lot seem like it's a car that sells for more. And yeah, you can throw a tantrum about it all you'd like, but you're never going to change the fact that "rare" cars are going to sell for more money, because that's how economics works. Really, VIN fraud takes TWO cars away from folks with average paychecks. Try and keep up. Let's say you've got a rusty hulk of a 340 4-speed car. It's rough, it would cost a giant fortune to fix. Let's say you also have a nice, good condition slant 6 car from the same year. This is a no brainer if you lack moral fortitude. The slant 6 car ends up wearing enough numbers and parts to pass as the 340 4-speed car, and gets sold as the 340 4-speed car. So, what really happened? Well, first, an affordable slant 6 car no longer exists for average folks that could afford to buy a nice, no option slant car to have fun. That car is gone, it became something more expensive. Second, a rough 340 car that could have been bought for a much smaller amount and fixed by someone with skills, time, and who wasn't worried about making a profit is gone too. Two cars are now out of that affordable price range. And finally, some poor bastard who thought he was getting a 340 4-speed car didn't get the car he wanted. Maybe he never finds out, maybe he does and screws over some other poor bastard to get his money back, and so on and so forth. And that train just keeps on rolling until somebody with a spine figures out the car isn't what it's supposed to be and takes the lumps on the sale price. Ironically, since we're talking about a 340 4-speed A-body, it's not "drug dealers and corporate bankers" getting screwed here. More than likely, it's just working folks that have done well for themselves. Because like the car in this thread, it wasn't all numbers anyway. Which means it probably didn't get an insane amount of money. It got a bunch more than a slant car, but not real 340 4-speed money. Which means some hardworking bastard got hammered because he thought he was getting a good deal on something he probably thought was out of his price range. Sucks right? Even if you change the scenario to involve a Hemi car and a drug dealer, regular folks in the hobby still lost two cars, and only one drug dealer got screwed. And he's just gonna screw someone else anyway.

I haven't even suggested the storyline when some other poor bastard has his car STOLEN to provide the shell for the more expensive VIN. You can add another poor hardworking bastard into the mix in that scenario, and up the ante on anyone that buys it later too.

Your suggestions to the OP are silly. Like ignoring it will make it go away :rolleyes:. If it's not legal now, and nothing happens to resolve that fact, it will never magically become legal. Hiding that fact only makes you a criminal, because the ONLY reason to hide it is to pass the buck to someone else. Another buyer, the insurance company if it gets hit in a parking lot, whoever. It's pretty simple, if you find yourself in a position where you have to worry about hiding factual information to avoid being caught -you're doing something illegal.

If the car is legal, NONE of this matters. It's legal. Not all the numbers have to match for the car to be legal either. Truly, if the VIN matches the title, and the other VIN stampings aren't from a stolen car, the car itself is legal in most situations. Maybe not everything that happened along the way was legal, but it doesn't really matter as long as you don't represent the car as something it isn't. And now we're back to where you're trying to make your stand- it doesn't matter what the numbers say the car is, drive it and have fun. That's what they're for.

And what about the guy who buys a car that has had the VIN swapped.......and someone recognizes it as a car that was stolen before VIN swap, or the guy who sold it to the swapper still legally owns it and holds the title for the original car......and the car is seized and given back to the real owner after a court battle. VIN swapping is just plain wrong on so many levels.

And what about the guy who buys a car that has had the VIN swapped.......and someone recognizes it as a car that was stolen before VIN swap, or the guy who sold it to the swapper still legally owns it and holds the title for the original car......and the car is seized and given back to the real owner after a court battle. VIN swapping is just plain wrong on so many levels.
Than CAN happen for sure

Than CAN happen for sure
I know of one... While in High school a friend/classmate was making monthly payments on a Corvette ( stated to be a repo, purchased from a finance company ).
We graduated in 75. Summer of 77 and nearly paid off, It was hauled away from his driveway, proven stolen, title and VIN belonged to a total loss car, etc... He never saw the car again.
He did eventually get some portion of his money back though.

-
Back