70 Duster 340 Eldebrock Thunder Carb

-

A340

Reaction score
Passing and looking for good info.

Have stock 340-4bbl 4spd 391 gears Duster. Had original Carter AVS carb. After spending bucks and a lot of time, rebuilding, replacing, adjusting and tweaking I could not get it to idle and run right. I'm convinced that a 40 year old carb warps, melts, and breaks down after a long period of time.

I purchased the Thunder jet series #1826 650cfm AVS carb from Eldebrock. Right from the box to the manifold this thing fired right up, idled correctly when cold, and drove like a new car. The power was seat of the pants improved !! Only minor adjustments from the air/fuel mixture screws and idle adjustment were in order.

So those of you that have been fighting your carbs like I have, let me say that I wish i would have just spent the time and money first instead of messing around for a month or so on the old one. I'll keep it as is will go with the car if it is sold one day, as the car is number matching.

Now my question is this: Do I leave well enough alone or are there adjustments or tweaks I can do to this to make it even perform better?? Thanks

The best way to determin this is with a Air/Fuel ratio gauge and cheap one don't really cut it to well, but can be worked with. You'll need to find out how the ratio is not only under a normal warmed up idle, but as you drive down the road, part throttle and wide open throttle.

Have a freind watch the meter of have one that can record.
Tune the secondary side last under W.O.T.

Your old carb probably had worn out throttle shafts, thats about the only part that gets worn

-
Back