70 Duster 340 production numbers question

-

tom340

Reaction score
I guess more to satisfy my curiosity than anything. Have had some interesting conversations at car shows this year and I often get asked questions about production #'s, be it high impact colors, the rear deck spoiler, transmission/engine combinations etc..

--BTW, it's been ages since I've been on the forum...I'm busy with a photography career that takes me to every nook and cranny of New England so my visits here are scarce :(

Anyhow, mine is '70 Duster 340. 24,817 produced out of 217,192 Dusters in all. Original FY1 Lemon Twist (2,804 made) Roughly 1,240 Duster 340's had a dealer installed rear deck spoiler. I was told through research mine was one of them, however I am not fully convinced that was the case.

I cannot find any production numbers with regards to transmission (1970 Duster 340 model only) The 3 spd manual/floor shift was standard equipment. Both the 4 speed manual and 3 speed torqueflite automatic were extra cost options.

If anyone can provide the breakdown I would greatly appreciate that!!

('71 340 Duster specs found: 4,265 4 speed manual 6,213 Torqueflite auto)

Hmmmm. I hear crickets :)

I'm not sure I've exhausted all my efforts on the web to find these specs, but it sure seems like it though. Wondering why the '71 340 production numbers are so specific and easy to research..

He's on Moparts and usually hangs out in the restoration forum. Im sure he would be glad to help.

Tom,

I don't think anybody can come up with an accurate production total on the
Code #J81 'Go-Wing' Spoiler Option.

One thing, there were virtually none on the 1970 'Duster 340', especially in the
Northeast.

I saw a lot of 1970 Duster 340's, and I don't ever remember seeing one with a
Go-Wing Spoiler.

J81 'Go-Wing Spoiler' Option

Total 'Duster 340' Production with the #J81 Code Option........ 1016 {4.1%} of the 24,817 Built.

70dusterfs7.jpg

Tom,

I don't think anybody can come up with an accurate production total on the
Code #J81 'Go-Wing' Spoiler Option.

One thing, there were virtually none on the 1970 'Duster 340', especially in the
Northeast.

I saw a lot of 1970 Duster 340's, and I don't ever remember seeing one with a
Go-Wing Spoiler.

My car was actually sold up at an Oregon dealership. SE part of the state in the desert. (technically semi-arid) :) I always recall seeing them more on '71 Dusters and Demons myself.

I've heard so much about that being a dealer install, but since it seems so difficult to verify I kinda gave up.

He's on Moparts and usually hangs out in the restoration forum. Im sure he would be glad to help.

I shot him an email through his website. Not a member of moparts so hopefully he get it and can help out. THX for the link

OK, the verdict is in. Scott Smith provided me the information I requested.

1970 Duster 340 production numbers:

3,401 - 3 speed manual floor shift

7,390 - 4 speed

11,008 - automatics

7,390 - 4 speed

11,008 - automatics

Tom,

Great Research.

In 1970, our little town of Mahopac, New York {Population; 6000} had
no less than '7' Duster 340 cars roaming the streets in 1970.

None with a Code #J81 'Go-Wing'.

So if the j81 option is dealer installed, How did the j81 get on the fender tag? seems more likely j81 was factory ordered then installed by the dealer to prevent damage in shipping.

So if the j81 option is dealer installed, How did the j81 get on the fender tag? seems more likely j81 was factory ordered then installed by the dealer to prevent damage in shipping.

The go wing, or 1971 gull wing were installed at the factory. You could have one installed by the dealer I am sure but it would not be on the data tag. The exact breakdowns on options are a mere guess as no hard records are available. I think they do have an approximation on high impact colors with a percentage but no hard numbers. The transmissions they do have hard numbers on auto/manual but they have no breakdown on 3sp vs 4sp.

7,390 - 4 speed

11,008 - automatics

I was wanting to know which production numbers are correct for a 1970 Duster 340 total is it 24,817 as first stated or is it 21,799 as stated above? The difference is pretty large in production terms of 3018 Duster 340s. Now the only thing that might make sense is if the second production number is for the US only and not including Canada. Would someone please help Clear this up for me. Thanks Tom

The Galen book shows:

22117 total including exports
21799 total US Production
3401 3 speeds
7390 4 speeds
11008 automatics

-
Back