'70 Duster - First MOPAR Build

-
Moser rear end going in next weekend, just waiting on t-bolts. 8 3/4, 3.55 sure grip.

PB261805.JPG
PB261806.JPG

Nice thing with Dusters... It can hold some big back wheels.
Definitely a bonus. It'll be interesting to see how much clearance the wheel well lip has once it's on the ground. Seems pretty close just by eyballing it.

Looks like your spending the money in the right places, some serious upgrades. Very cool build.

it would be great if you could find someone's old mopars to take a drive in to see if prefer the PS or Manual steering. the PS of that era lacks road feel most would say, depends if city driving or country driving as to what you might like??. me I have always preferred MANUAL even in big block cars..
I think we all pretty much agree it is your car. you need not apologize to anyone do what you like with it. some will see you work and love it, others not. so is life!!

They lack road feel because the pumps are waaaay overboosted to make the steering effort light. Get the box rebuilt, use C body idler and pitman arms to speed up the lock to lock ratio (old mopar trans am racers trick) then use a saginaw power steering pump, and pump the pressure down. This will give you enough assist for parking, and keep the box tight enough to feel more like a manual at speed, and the C body arms speeding up the lock to lock ratio will make it feel more like a rack and pinion setup.

Theres an article in an old mopar magazine called "pumping it down" about lowering the pump pressure to give the power boxes more tighter road feel of a manual box. The longer C body arms will screw up the ackerman angle but only at full lock, so its really a non issue.

Borgeson boxes are nice. Faster ratio, smaller, more compact and light. Great if you have the coin to afford one. If not the tricks i outlined will get you the faster ratio, and road feel you desire, without breaking the bank.

Hope this helps
Matt

They lack road feel because the pumps are waaaay overboosted to make the steering effort light. Get the box rebuilt, use C body idler and pitman arms to speed up the lock to lock ratio (old mopar trans am racers trick) then use a saginaw power steering pump, and pump the pressure down. This will give you enough assist for parking, and keep the box tight enough to feel more like a manual at speed, and the C body arms speeding up the lock to lock ratio will make it feel more like a rack and pinion setup.

Theres an article in an old mopar magazine called "pumping it down" about lowering the pump pressure to give the power boxes more tighter road feel of a manual box. The longer C body arms will screw up the ackerman angle but only at full lock, so its really a non issue.

Borgeson boxes are nice. Faster ratio, smaller, more compact and light. Great if you have the coin to afford one. If not the tricks i outlined will get you the faster ratio, and road feel you desire, without breaking the bank.

Hope this helps
Matt

Cool, thanks Matt. I'm going with the Borgeson box, I think it'll be okay. Plus, I've already bought the A body idler and pitman arms.

Starting to see the stance a bit better. This is with the 1" drop rear leaf springs. Still seems a bit high to me, but has no weight in it yet.
P2041849.JPG
P2041850.JPG

-
Back