70 duster front and rear screen removal.

-

uk dart

Reaction score
Hi all.
I’m wanting to remove the front and rear screens from the 70 duster without cutting / damaging the gasket, wanting to re - use the gaskets.
I’ve already removed the stainless trim and round gasket locking rubber, cleaned it all up but seems very tight to come out.
What’s the correct way to remove.
Rick.

It is funny that you guys call it a "windscreen".
For best results without damage, the rubber needs to be warm. I understand that it is cloudy and gloomy over there most of the time so you might need to use a heat gun or a halogen lamp. Softer rubber will flex more without damage.
Use plastic sticks with some type of lubricant like soapy water and pry a little at a time.

Hello uk dart.
I was going to send this is as a private message but your inbox is full.
I was wondering if you could do me a favor during your windscreen disassembly.
There are a few slightly different styles of clips that are used for the stainless trim, and most people do not notice the slight differences in various locations around the windscreen until after they are all removed.
Some clips have a round mounting hole and some have a oval shaped mounting hole. Some clips are taller than others, or have a slightly different shape.
Would you be willing to document where the different styles of clips are located as you are removing them.
My body shop removed all the clips, and didn't notice they were different until they were all removed, so we never knew the correct clip location.
If you need to order new clip kits, you will find that the kits from all the common parts vendors are not the same.
I have tried contacting many of the parts vendors, and have even asked for recommendations on this site, but was never able to get a real accurate answer about the clip locations.
Thank you
Dave

Careful use of a putty knife from the inside is the way I like to do it. Pry the lip of the rubber gasket over the pinch weld. Work it slowly and evenly from top to bottom until it comes loose. The front is much more likely to break than the rear, so, be real careful not to get the glass in a bind. If the windshield (front windscreen) is available new where you are, I'd just get it and not worry about breaking it. It may be cheaper to just get a new gasket and cut the old one to save the glass if it's in real nice shape.

It is funny that you guys call it a "windscreen".
For best results without damage, the rubber needs to be warm. I understand that it is cloudy and gloomy over there most of the time so you might need to use a heat gun or a halogen lamp. Softer rubber will flex more without damage.
Use plastic sticks with some type of lubricant like soapy water and pry a little at a time.
Thanks for your reply mr kern dog sure we call them windscreens, if I said windshield over here nobody would know what I was talking about.
And your very lucky living in CA,but we do now and again get good weather and use our mopars.

Hello uk dart.
I was going to send this is as a private message but your inbox is full.
I was wondering if you could do me a favor during your windscreen disassembly.
There are a few slightly different styles of clips that are used for the stainless trim, and most people do not notice the slight differences in various locations around the windscreen until after they are all removed.
Some clips have a round mounting hole and some have a oval shaped mounting hole. Some clips are taller than others, or have a slightly different shape.
Would you be willing to document where the different styles of clips are located as you are removing them.
My body shop removed all the clips, and didn't notice they were different until they were all removed, so we never knew the correct clip location.
If you need to order new clip kits, you will find that the kits from all the common parts vendors are not the same.
I have tried contacting many of the parts vendors, and have even asked for recommendations on this site, but was never able to get a real accurate answer about the clip locations.
Thank you
Dave
Hi Dave thanks for your info,when I do get it out I will post up some details.

There is a circular "cord" - the lock strip that runs from the bottom corners, up the sides and back to the opposite bottom corner. It comes completely out. The bottom section above the cowl "unlocks."

See the pic in post #8:

Windshield Install/Remove/Clips/Details
Hi demonic,
I didn’t realise the bottom section folded in.
Thanks a lot you guys for the speedy and informative replies, I will give it a go and see what happens.
I’ve done windscreens on mustangs(easy) roadrunners, and a 72 Dart (with no problems) but the duster is a tough one, wish me luck.

-
Back