70 duster good deal?

-

Scott's dart

Reaction score
There's a 70 duster I'm looking at for 3 grand Canadian. No motor, rockers need replacing and it needs inner fenders and a trunk. I just bought another duster for parts so I have all that stuff already, is that a good deal? It's got an 8 3/4 and other than the rockers it seems really solid. It also come with a new grill.
ad_1507402464670.jpg
ad_1507402468262.jpg
ad_1507402482815.jpg
ad_1507402487572.jpg
ad_1507402496715.jpg
ad_1507402491830.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave $2200USD for a 72 with partially stripped interior, twin scoops, 8.75 rearend, sharktooth grill, original 318 but no trans. Needs a little floor pan work, trunk pan and lower quarters. That all said, I'm in Kentucky and drove to North Carolina to get it and fairly solid cars are probably easier to find down here than in the great white north.

I've been bugging my brother to take a road trip and get that car. If it was closer I'd be all over it

That's a POS for 3K, American or Canadian, IMO. If I pay that much, I better be able to drive that **** home.

I paid $900 for this one and drove it half way home if you want a reference. It's not a 70 or 71 and it doesn't have an 8-3/4. I do think the price was a little on the light side too.
16298849_10208682792130302_2110702867664715865_n.jpg

I bought a solid 70 a few years back that had a 340 in it with X heads, a complete 4 speed setup, and an 8.75” with a3.23 Sure Grip for $2400. Also came with a trunk full of parts, 72 buckets, and a set of 14” ralleyes with trim rings and center caps. Your car doesn’t look too bad but probably more in the $1500-$2000 range to me

Duster prices around here are going through the roof. That car would sell here for $3000. Is it worth it? Not to me!

Really need some up close pictures of the body if the panels are relatively straight and only rust is in the rockers I'd say its worth $1500.00 the prices of '70-'71's are going up every time I look..and you can't compare the '73 and up to a '70-'71 not even close..

you could get close to that around here there just isn't any of them left around here on another note the rust you see is only half of it there is usually lots hidden .

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
I think its a little steep too, but i guess it all depends on your end game. Theres another one for 7 grand, a rotten one for 2500 and an early dart for 2500.
I picked up two for 300 one dart one duster. Bought a hood and a rear diff for 300.
Would i pay it? Nope.
I got a solid 65 barracuda for 750, owner spent over 1,000 in parts.
Theres a charger there cheap too, not my style but looks like a deal.

You want to see how crazy prices are in Florida? Go to the Don Garlits show in Ocala. Slant 6 rust bucket dart for $5000!

I think it's a decent deal
Check the bolt pattern on it, as far as those rears stick out, it may be a poor choice of backspacing, but it may also be a B-body rear end

I would say that 3 grand is too much, but 2 grand would be more like it if the grille is good and the paperwork is in order.
They don't make them any more and the supplies of good workable project cars are getting less and less by the day.
Even the '73 and up cars are becoming a lot scarcer to find in any condition.

I think it's a decent deal
Check the bolt pattern on it, as far as those rears stick out, it may be a poor choice of backspacing, but it may also be a B-body rear end

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's small bolt pattern and drums all around.

I paid $900 for this one and drove it half way home if you want a reference. It's not a 70 or 71 and it doesn't have an 8-3/4. I do think the price was a little on the light side too.
View attachment 1715098499
Now that would be a STEAL around here!!! I had the chance to buy a 73 Duster, baby blue with blue interior. Really solid lookin car but the slant didn't have any oil pressure, they wanted $2500 for it.

I bought a solid 70 a few years back that had a 340 in it with X heads, a complete 4 speed setup, and an 8.75” with a3.23 Sure Grip for $2400. Also came with a trunk full of parts, 72 buckets, and a set of 14” ralleyes with trim rings and center caps. Your car doesn’t look too bad but probably more in the $1500-$2000 range to me
I've got a farm so I can ALWAYS use some buckets but how do you even fit 72 buckets in the trunk of a Duster?? Must've been ice cream buckets or something, definitely not 5 gallon buckets......

:lol:

I can grab a darn near rust free feather duster, with 4-speed that drives for $3000 and I think that is too much money.

My main question would be: "Where in Manitoba are you?" If you are in the far reaches, $3000 probably isn't out of line. If you are in the South closer to civilization, $2000 would be more reasonable. Most of the replies here are in American dollars, so ya, $3000USD is way to high. However in our economy and market, the numbers are very different than way down in Arizona where they don't even know what rust is!

It all comes down to where you are from. Dusters 3k and under are just not here where I live.... anywhere, unless the leafs are in the trunk because of a rusted frame :D

Last edited:
My main question would be: "Where in Manitoba are you?" If you are in the far reaches, $3000 probably isn't out of line. If you are in the South closer to civilization, $2000 would be more reasonable. Most of the replies here are in American dollars, so ya, $3000USD is way to high. However in our economy and market, the numbers are very different than way down in Arizona where they don't even know what rust is!

I live about 10 miles from the US border. And yeah, I hear you about the rust! Depending on what kind of hassle it is importing a car I wouldn't mind finding something decent in the states and flying out and road tripping a car back!

I've got a farm so I can ALWAYS use some buckets but how do you even fit 72 buckets in the trunk of a Duster?? Must've been ice cream buckets or something, definitely not 5 gallon buckets......

:lol:
The buckets were in the car, not the trunk!

-
Back