70 Duster - Value ?

-

RPMagoo

Just An Old Motorhead
Reaction score
I owned this 70 Duster, and sold it. -- I'm now considering buying it back. -- It's basically a, completely rust free, Survivor, Car from Arizona -- The hood is a little bleached out, from the sun -- 318 -- auto -- disc brakes (front) -- working A/C -- power steering -- very good, bench seat, interior. -- The added items include -- intake, and 4 bbl. Holly -- Mopar Performance valve covers -- dual exhausts (no headers) -- shark tooth grill -- Cragars -- 8-3/4" non-posi. rear. -- What should I pay ? -- Opinions. --
3 Of 3.JPG
Duster - Enlarged - Front.JPG
Duster - Enlarged - Rear.JPG

Last edited:
means you owned it before, and sold it, you should know more than any of us as far as it's worth. Right year, nice looking and good shape. 10k-12k being a 318 car ? It does have a shark tooth and 8.75 - but what is the market going to do with virus/job loss ????

How much $ is the seller asking? Not as relevant but still on the topic, how long ago did you sell it, has the owner done any work since you sold it and what did you sell it for?

-- __ _ _ _ _ _ _ - - but what is the market going to do with virus/job loss ???? --
-- That's why I'm looking for opinions from FABO Members. -- Also, My personal opinion is that the Market for this type of car is on a downward slide. -- at 76 . I've had many and have seen the ups, and downs, since My first car at 14 years old.

Well, why do you want it? At 76 it's a great idea of you always had the dream. But it's almost like marrying the same woman twice. It will never be as good as the first time..... That's what was told to me by someone who did just that.....

I wouldn't be surprised to se 10K on it. As for the realistic value, you are probably right in there may be a decline right now but once the virus crap is over people may go into a buying frenzy or not....

Treat it like this. Spend what you think is fair and put a number in there you can afford to lose. If you can get it for a song then you enjoy it and resell when the novelty wears off. I personally would be leary of anything over 8K and that's being optimistic....

JW

-- That's why I'm looking for opinions from FABO Members. -- Also, My personal opinion is that the Market for this type of car is on a downward slide. -- at 76 . I've had many and have seen the ups, and downs, since My first car at 14 years old.
Honestly, I'd say pay what it's worth to you and keep it for a while. Let the market be what it is. Your enjoyment is priceless. You are here for a good time, not a long time. I personally love the stance, color's nice, and '70-72 Dusters are maybe my favorite A-bodies, along with Demons

I owned this 70 Duster, and sold it. -- I'm now considering buying it back. -- It's basically a, completely rust free, Survivor, Car from Arizona -- The hood is a little bleached out, from the sun -- 318 -- auto -- working A/C -- power steering -- very good, bench seat, interior. -- The added items include -- intake, and 4 bbl. Holly -- Mopar Performance valve covers -- dual exhausts (no headers) -- shark tooth grill -- Cragars -- 8-3/4" non-posi. rear. -- What should I pay ? -- Opinions. -- View attachment 1715518906 View attachment 1715518907 View attachment 1715518908

Man, that is nice. Great stance and color.

If it is truly rust free, I would say if you got the car for $15-$19K, you have done well. That would be the high end, any less and you've gotten a great deal. I'm assuming it runs as good as it looks. If it was a 340, bucket seats, sure grip rear end, that car would be $25K, easy.
Think of it this way... you could spend $8-$10K on a car that needs $7-$12K in body/paint and mechanical work. This one you can enjoy right away. If the hood has paint issues that bother you, maybe give it a blackout treatment.
I'm saying this while assuming that buying this car isn't going to put you in a financial bind. Only spend what you can afford to.

If you won't miss the money, go for it.
You'll never see a Brinks truck following a hearse!

I'd say about 12-15 mechanical value
ill let you add the sentimental value

Does the seller know that you used to own it? If he does and/or finds out, the price just went up!

Of course it is, you're the buyer. lol Stop tryin to be a cheap bastid and go buy your car back. You want it so buy it.

If its as clean in real life as it looks in the pictures, i wouldn't be surprised to see someone ASK 16-19 for that.
its a v8 car
its NOT a 73+
its clean
it doesn't need painted.

this is a nice counter example for someone picking up a clean-ish slant six car for 5K...that needs a little body work...and then having 20+K in it after swapping the driveline and painting it.
I'd say anything under 17, you make a fair deal. 15...you made a really good deal under 13...you're stealing it.
You and I in the rust belt know what it takes to find something like that around here.

If its as clean in real life as it looks in the pictures, i wouldn't be surprised to see someone ASK 16-19 for that.
its a v8 car
its NOT a 73+
its clean
it doesn't need painted.

this is a nice counter example for someone picking up a clean-ish slant six car for 5K...that needs a little body work...and then having 20+K in it after swapping the driveline and painting it.
I'd say anything under 17, you make a fair deal. 15...you made a really good deal under 13...you're stealing it.
You and I in the rust belt know what it takes to find something like that around here.

That's the difference in mentalities of all car guys.... Been there, done that, and paid squanders money for a car like this. It was good times, lucky to have been in the right places at the right time, and wouldn't change a thing. But it's just a compact car that came with a V8.

I am close to pulling the trigger on a car now that has huge sentimental value. Priced right but what's the point really.... And at 76 years old why not take the money and just dig into the soul and find something else that you never either got to own or do.

Won't disagree on the rust aspect. Body and paint people are not out there to do this type of work so yes there is value. But for these almost 20k prices you guys are throwing out there I would double it and go get a Hellcat.....

JW

That's the difference in mentalities of all car guys.... Been there, done that, and paid squanders money for a car like this. It was good times, lucky to have been in the right places at the right time, and wouldn't change a thing. But it's just a compact car that came with a V8.

I am close to pulling the trigger on a car now that has huge sentimental value. Priced right but what's the point really.... And at 76 years old why not take the money and just dig into the soul and find something else that you never either got to own or do.

Won't disagree on the rust aspect. Body and paint people are not out there to do this type of work so yes there is value. But for these almost 20k prices you guys are throwing out there I would double it and go get a Hellcat.....

JW
totally agree! all in the eye of the beholder. In OH, you couldn't touch a car like that with a slant/7.25/and drums for under 10K.
The days of finding a nice slant six car that didn't need painted, and "just" needed a drivetrain swap, for $4000 are over. At least from what i have seen, but then again i haven't been actively looking i suppose.

I just searched Mopar, Dodge, and Plymouth on my local craigslist.
COMBINED That yielded me
a $4000 D100 thats a total rag
a few of your typical B body 30K+ cars
a 4 door 66 dart someone wants 5500 for
and one 74 Scamp, that looks similar condition to that car above, with an asking price of 15K.

I'm cheap, so i'll continue to be the dummy that buys the 5K cars to "save money" and drop in my own engine, etc....and then lie to myself that i somehow have less $ in it than just buying one done.

It just tends to sting less when its in stages.lol

looks similar to my Duster I bought in 1977 for $500. 340 3 speed manual 60,000 miles. what color is that called? and how many miles? rust free is $19,000.

So the folks here are spending some time providing some insightful input. Could you return the favour and share with us what the seller is asking for the car? What we think it’s worth is kinda meaningless if the seller thinks he’s sitting on a gold mine. We could say $15k and you might think $15k too but if the seller knows you want the car back or thinks it’s worth $35k for what ever reasons, our input is pretty meaningless. You going to him saying “yeah peeps on a car forum also think it’s worth $15k....” isn’t going to help much. Considering you sold the car to him, perhaps sharing when you sold him the car and for what price would complete the two way street relative to info sharing between all of us.

I remember when you had the car. It is a nice car.
I think you should pay what you think is fair. A lot of people out of work right
now. And many things are questionable due to the virus. I like the car.

So the folks here are spending some time providing some insightful input. Could you return the favour and share with us what the seller is asking for the car? What we think it’s worth is kinda meaningless if the seller thinks he’s sitting on a gold mine. We could say $15k and you might think $15k too but if the seller knows you want the car back or thinks it’s worth $35k for what ever reasons, our input is pretty meaningless. You going to him saying “yeah peeps on a car forum also think it’s worth $15k....” isn’t going to help much. Considering you sold the car to him, perhaps sharing when you sold him the car and for what price would complete the two way street relative to info sharing between all of us. --
-- He's a Friend of Mine, and We've dealt several cars, over the years, so I'm getting a "reduced price" from Him and I will keep that between Him, and I. -- My concern is that I think that We are dealing at the top of the market, incl. when I sold it to Him. -- Thanks -- Stay Safe

If you’re getting a reduced price from him then why ask us what it’s worth? What value do you think is the top of the market? Are you paying less than that figure? If so, then why are you asking us? Buy it and enjoy it, case closed.

This is a one way thread....

Stay clean.

If you’re getting a reduced price from him then why ask us what it’s worth? What value do you think is the top of the market? Are you paying less than that figure? If so, then why are you asking us? Buy it and enjoy it, case closed. -- This is a one way thread.... -- Stay clean. --
-- Sorry -- Stay Safe.

if it is as it appears and rust free i would buy it in a heartbeat and probably pay more than it's worth.

Putting things into perspective lol... This what has me in a headlock. Most people would not
totally agree! all in the eye of the beholder. In OH, you couldn't touch a car like that with a slant/7.25/and drums for under 10K.
The days of finding a nice slant six car that didn't need painted, and "just" needed a drivetrain swap, for $4000 are over. At least from what i have seen, but then again i haven't been actively looking i suppose.

I just searched Mopar, Dodge, and Plymouth on my local craigslist.
COMBINED That yielded me
a $4000 D100 thats a total rag
a few of your typical B body 30K+ cars
a 4 door 66 dart someone wants 5500 for
and one 74 Scamp, that looks similar condition to that car above, with an asking price of 15K.

I'm cheap, so i'll continue to be the dummy that buys the 5K cars to "save money" and drop in my own engine, etc....and then lie to myself that i somehow have less $ in it than just buying one done.

It just tends to sting less when its in stages.lol

The deals show up, you just need 3 things. Timing, position, and patience.... I don't keep up but if people are really willing to spend this much on an A body time has passed me by. And by all means, someone can get my car. Because the price I have considered asking is nothing like what is being wrote in this thread....

JW

-
Back