70 K member in a 66 Dart

-

robertnb64

Pres. SouthBay Mopars
Reaction score
Can I install a K member and front susp from a 1970 a body into my 1966 Dart?

Thanks for any help, Robert

Welcome to the board Robert. The answer to your question is NO. The 66 was the last year of the narrow A body engine compartments, and in 67 they were widened so anything newer than 1966 is too wide for your car. Is there something wrong with the K-member from your 66 or were you just planning an upgrade? In case you were just planning to put a V8 to replace a /6, then the 66 K-member is the same for both 6 and 8 cylinder engines.

Hey Sid, thanks for the reply...I have a 70 front k member all ready to go including the Willwood brakes installed from a donor car and was hoping it would fit without having to remove all the parts and transfer them over to the 66 k member.

Will all the other parts swap from the wide 70 k member to the narrow k member?

Thanks, Robert

In regards to brakes and such, yes everything will swap over. If there is a swaybar, then it would be to wide for a straight swap. I think I read somewhere of someone making one fit on an early a body

jcab said:
In regards to brakes and such, yes everything will swap over. If there is a swaybar, then it would be to wide for a straight swap. I think I read somewhere of someone making one fit on an early a body

PST sells an aftermarket sway bar for the early A's

As the other guys said Robert, all the PARTS will swap, but not the whole K-Member. Before you spend any time doing the swap, check on the availability and prices for replacement parts for those Willwood disk brakes. I've heard they are VERY expensive but I heven't personally priced any parts for them. I guess I should since that's what's on my 67 Dart GT. Good luck.

Sorry for butting in, but I have a ?. If the k members are the same for a slant or v8, can I just buy stock v8 motor mounts for a swap from 6-8, or are conversion mounts necessary? I am under the impression I had to have schumacher mounts to do this. I havent had my 65 long and was thinking about a swap when the slant dies, which may be never as this thing runs so good. Thanks

It's the same k-member for the /6 as the v8. Just different brackets. Schumacher's kit copies the factory ones. And you'll need to do a few other things besides just mounts. I have a set on e-bay right now as a matter of fact.

As the others have said .. the brakes will fit along with the upper and lower control arms, the center link, pitman and idler arm are unique to the 66 body. I had heard that the wilwood brakes are not for street use, you may want to check into that.....

-
Back