70 rallye dash circuit boards

-

70scatpack

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 70 340 Swinger and my question is do I need to replace the circuit boards with new ones and do I need voltage limiters for updated gauges and tach that I am going to replace in the dash cluster ? I do have a msd unit in the car now with aftermarket gauges and tach.

I have a 70 340 Swinger and my question is do I need to replace the circuit boards with new ones and do I need voltage limiters for updated gauges and tach that I am going to replace in the dash cluster ? I do have a msd unit in the car now with aftermarket gauges and tach.
Have to no. Personally if they were out of the car I would check the pins, re-solder if needed, clean the circuits and update the Voltage Limiter to transistor. Just a good piece of insurance for down the road.

If you're replacing the 3 thermal instruments with some aftermarket brand, you'll need to know if those are designed for reduced voltage or 12 volts. I'll guess that majority of those that operate with the OEM 80-10 senders do require reduced voltage.
None of this is relative to any tachometer, OEM or aftermarket. Instrument voltage regulators are relative to fuel, oil, temp, / thermal instruments only.
Forgive me if I've misunderstood your post, whats replacing what.

If you're replacing the 3 thermal instruments with some aftermarket brand, you'll need to know if those are designed for reduced voltage or 12 volts. I'll guess that majority of those that operate with the OEM 80-10 senders do require reduced voltage.
None of this is relative to any tachometer, OEM or aftermarket. Instrument voltage regulators are relative to fuel, oil, temp, / thermal instruments only.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your post, whats replacing what.[/QUOTE
I am going to replace them with the Rallye gauge set from Classic Industries which includes temp,gas,alternator,and

Sorry do not know is going with my phone,I was saying I am replacing them with the Rallye cluster gauge set from Classic Industries which includes temp,gas,alt,oil and a solid state voltage limiter

OK. well,,, I have a few sets of OEM circuit boards here, even 67 vintage, in excellent condition. And I've scrapped some too. Contact pins are the most typical fault and There are ways to correct screwed up contact pins. If your boards are in good condition, no need to replace. If they need more than minor repair, to replace might be best.
Same applies to most every OEM part. Repair or replace usually boils down to condition of and budget. I wont get into the personal preference aspect of it.

OK. well,,, I have a few sets of OEM circuit boards here, even 67 vintage, in excellent condition. And I've scrapped some too. Contact pins are the most typical fault and There are ways to correct screwed up contact pins. If your boards are in good condition, no need to replace. If they need more than minor repair, to replace might be best.
Same applies to most every OEM part. Repair or replace usually boils down to condition of and budget. I wont get into the personal preference aspect of it.

Sorry do not know is going with my phone,I was saying I am replacing them with the Rallye cluster gauge set from Classic Industries which includes temp,gas,alt,oil and a solid state voltage limiter

Search for a recent post from me on this. Charger Specialties makes this upgrade. The directions are lacking at best. The gauges however work just fine! The amp meter gauge is the one that is testy. I thought of leaving the original but the needles are a tad different and would have been noticeable. I opened the holes as directed but was still not happy. I used a thick plastic straw (like you get with big drink tumblers) of all things and lined the opening through the cluster housing. I cut them long enough to add support to, and keep the gauge from cinching down to the housing to much. That mounting is not great and the soft black insulator compresses to much and will not allow for firm connections to the amp meter wiring. It also has a little nub on the bottom of the needle that will contact the center casting of the cluster so pay close attention to that! The original gauge was made with rigid plastic that does not compress! Note that the red/black amp meter connections are reversed from stock as well! The other 3 gauges were no issue. I pulled the original +12v feed from the barrel and made a plug in tap to feed the new regulator without cutting the original wire, and put a soft plug in the one unused third gas gauge hole to keep dust out.

-
Back