70 steering column repair

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what to do to repair or replace these impact- absorbing shear pins in this 70 steering column? The service manual says if they are damaged the impact features will be destroyed making these parts useless. Im guessing welding them will be the only repair unless you can epoxy or glue them in some way.

Attachments

• 70 steering column 033.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 70 steering column 034.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 180
nylon bolts for the shaft, available at most hardware stores

Do you really need to worry about them at all. once the column is reassembled, adjusted to length and bolted in place, it's not going anywhere.
If you do use nylon bolts, just cut them to length so they engage the inner shaft. you don't need them to go all the way through.

I have the same question, do you have to drill the shaft for the nylon bolts? the existing holes are pretty small. Also i still have the same situation with the shift tube. It appears that all these pieces were assembled first then filled with the plastic. i dont think you could assemble these parts with the plastics inside as tight as it fits together. Why couldnt you fill it with some sort of epoxy or just weld them?

-
Back