70 Swinger Dash lights

-

PtownDart

Bubba
Reaction score
Well I will start out with a sorry for wasting your time. 2 questions: I need to change turn indicator lamp [right turn ] , and maybe the fuel and temp lamp. I have the ralley or sport dash. I am thinking the only way to do this is to remove, dash-cluster, that is what I have learned by searching.Has anyone done the lamp change differently ?? I have heard the speedometer cable disconnect is not friendly,,,,, then after that,, the wire harness is very stiff and short,,,,,also, if there is a lamp for radio, it is out too. Q-2. Turn signal flasher, [found 4 way super easy ] it says in book the turn flasher is by radio and wiper on some "rail" ,,,,,,Can't find it, even with it clicking,,,,,,I-carumbah !!! Any secret tricks to fix these things,,,,

Dash from Right2.jpg

if you have "small hands" and patience, and are a contortionist you might be able to cram your hand up there and get the socket out. I seem to recall that I could get the round connector off, and let it hang and then you may have more room for your hand. it really comes down to how good of shape your dash is in, are the PC boards good? will talking the connectors off disturb the pin connections etc. i would try it this way first but I dont like taking the dash apart. I've done it many times but don't like doing it things are brittle on mine anyway. yours looks good is that paint or the actual chrome ion it? the main PITA is laying across the seat with the shifter etc. Maybe take the seat out? Mustang guys do that all the time for under dash work LOL!

The flasher should be just to the right of the ash tray, should be able to, with the face of your hand, reach up and back with your fingers and touch it. It's in a little cupped strap that holds it.
As for your bulbs, you may be taking your seat out, and your steering column, and loosening your panel screws, what ever it takes. The speedo is not that hard, it probably needs to be greased anyway.
The radio has its own light bulb, it's on the top. You will have to remove the radio.

The flasher should be just to the right of the ash tray, should be able to, with the face of your hand, reach up and back with your fingers and touch it. It's in a little cupped strap that holds it.
As for your bulbs, you may be taking your seat out, and your steering column, and loosening your panel screws, what ever it takes. The speedo is not that hard, it probably needs to be greased anyway.
The radio has its own light bulb, it's on the top. You will have to remove the radio.
Thanks for the tip,,,,

if you have "small hands" and patience, and are a contortionist you might be able to cram your hand up there and get the socket out. I seem to recall that I could get the round connector off, and let it hang and then you may have more room for your hand. it really comes down to how good of shape your dash is in, are the PC boards good? will talking the connectors off disturb the pin connections etc. i would try it this way first but I dont like taking the dash apart. I've done it many times but don't like doing it things are brittle on mine anyway. yours looks good is that paint or the actual chrome ion it? the main PITA is laying across the seat with the shifter etc. Maybe take the seat out? Mustang guys do that all the time for under dash work LOL!

Thanks for the help,,,,,

Good luck. I just did all of the bulbs in my '72 regular panel.

So,, the illusive turn signal flasher, it works now, but I want to put in an electronic flasher so I can go to all LED lamps, I have LED lamps in the rear, normal lamps in the front,,, like I said , we can hear it clicking, but can't find it,,,,,so I sent a treasure map,, with colored targets,, can anyone tell me about where that flasher lives,,,,, Thanks !!!!!
Dodge dash close up.jpg

It should be by the orange one. It's there on my '69 and '72. Usually if it's been changed, no one ever puts it back into its holder, but it still has to be there. You don't have A/C, you should be able to slide in there from the driver's side, get on your back, feet up over the seat back and look right at it, but I'm a little guy, I can still do that at age '71.
Keep looking!

I think you will find the turn indicator bulbs in this dash most difficult to get a hand on. Column support in the way.
I would just go ahead and pull the panel to change all those bulbs to LED too. If 1 or 2 are burned out, the others may be going soon. Install a solid state IVR, clean and tighten connections, etc.., while you have it out.
If you had a/c you would easier pull the glove box to get to the signal flasher.

Won't say not to go led's, but that may be fun, the bulbs only work one way, right?
It will all be fun, I had to pull my instrument cluster partially out last nite, after putting my fingers on the wrong place trying to hook the speedo back up. Now it's apart for a plastic repair. If you actually have to pull the glove box,not just push it in, the sides fold a little.
Just remember, everything under there is probably brittle, plastic and wiring.

Did everything when my Dashboard was out. It was a non issue :)

20200503_182758.jpg

20200430_185102.jpg

I don't think that he has his dash out!

Last edited:
Thank you all so very much,,,, wonderful ideas and help,, if I was younger, I would just try to pull the dash out, as the driver side defroster hose, that we put on, is on but maybe not all the way as well as the other issues. But I am old and nervous now, lol. I agree the led indicator lamps would be cool,,,I change those on a 2000 Jeep I had [super easy to remove gauge panel] ,, but leds I had were polarity sensitive,,, and a couple failed after a couple weeks. Car is going into storage, since painter can not get to it until March, so may wait until spring. I have twin , young, long and lanky grandsons that tried once, will attack the flasher again this weekend. The dreaded speedometer cable, does that have a plastic snap end or threaded cup connector ? Thank You all, and be well, be safe !!!!

240597183_2658644741107989_6073191060568768062_n.jpg

Speedo has a plastic end cup with a pinch lever length wise, just press the lever in and pull.

Thank you again fellas',, you are building my courage,,, I read some where the wire harness is very short and stiff,,,if there is a plug/connector for the dash instruments,do i undo that from below,,,same goes for speedo connector. Or pull dash out carefully,,, to gain just enough access to those 2 things.......I thought maybe I did not have to drop steering column,, on a car with the rally dash,,,,,

I can not answer to the rally dash. It can be kinda trial and error. You try one thing and when that stops you, you try something else.

Success,,,,,my grandsons found the turn flasher, near passenger side bottom corner of radio. near orange flower on previous post. replaced old flasher with electronic one, so as to handle LED lamps. Holding off on instrument lamp upgrade,,,,need to build up some courage. Thanks all for the help !!!

Dodge dash close up.jpg

Right Side.jpg

-
Back