70 Swinger Dash Question

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
Im sure the dash I have in my car is for a 71+ car because it has the turn knob radio, and not the thumbwheel. So the question is, did a 70 every come factory with a turn turn knob style radio? I dont think it did, but I was wrong once before.... :)

IIRC, the rally dash is thumbwheel, regular dash is knob.....at least in the Plymouth Duster version.

Rallye dash? In the 30 years I have been paying attention I have never seen a 70 340 Swinger with a knob radio. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen! There was a 1970 340 Swinger on BAT a while ago that had a rallye dash with a knob radio.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-dodge-dart-swinger-2/

That BAT car had a late June build date, so I was thinking that perhaps they ran out of 1970 Dart dashes and just started using 1971 Demon dashes. But I saw someone mention in the comments that his was built the day before and has a thumbwheel radio, so who knows.

340 cars, Rally dash and thumbwheel radios. 318 and slant 6 cars, standard dash and knob radios. Things changed in 71 so I have heard. We just discussed this in a radio thread.

It looks like the question is exactly when did the changeover occur? Sometimes it's not with the model year change.

-
Back