71 198 slant six oil

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
How much oil do these take ? Are they the same as 225 ? Multiple places I've looked says different numbers . And how to judge how much zinc to add at each oil change ?

198 slant 6 , 1971 in a duster .

5 quarts with a filter. Just run an oil with zinc already in it. Makes it easy.

1) no one has that on shelves man . Very very uncommon . Most oils don't have it why they sell zinc additive . Also that wasn't my question. Of that 5 quarts how much zinc ? Any way to judge ?

1) no one has that on shelves man . Very very uncommon . Most oils don't have it why they sell zinc additive . Also that wasn't my question. Of that 5 quarts how much zinc ? Any way to judge ?
Trying to make it easy for you. But you won't let anyone. Welcome to the list. I'm tired of dickin with you.

Pinn Grade
Driven
Amsoil
Valvoline VR1
Lucas Hot Rod

just to name a few

Amazon
Local parts store
Summit
Jegs

inexpensive Rotella 15-40 has 1200ppm but is a diesel oil (and has a high viscosity index)) and of course Mobil-1 high mileage. Google oil zinc content. zinc additives are about 1000ppm per 3.2oz so they say 16oz increases ppm to 5000 but Im not sure if that is per 5 quarts or per qt. If your cam is broken in, its already work hardened and will survive todays oil. Breaking in a cam today would be safe using these higher zinc oils. Rollers need not apply.

Oreilly sells Valvoline VR-1, it has zinc. It's also under $50 for 5 quarts if you buy it on Amazon.

They sell zinc additive for the same reason they sell all of the other additives - it makes them money. There is no required amount.

I have several slant six engines, from stock to turbo, to nitrous. The only oil I use is "house brand" 10w-30. The only time I use an additive, is when I assemble the engine. The only time I have had a oil related failure, was in 1977, I had a #5 rod bearing go bad in a race motor. And lost a cam lobe on a Mopar Performance .528 lift cam, about 5 years ago. I don't think that was caused by the oil. as there were "pattern" failures on these cams.

-
Back