71-2 Satellite and RR differances?

-

Tower of Power

Surface rust
Reaction score
I know this is an A-Body forum but I don't wanna make a FBBO account to ask this...I love B bodies so much, their like my dream car...Especially a roadrunner, I was wondering, Are there any main body differences between a satellite and roadrunner? Grill and tail light differances are obvious but like, Fenders and hood and quarter panel differences? Thank you very much, I was just wondering, A satellite is probly less rare...

heavymetal_homecoming.jpg

A 71 Satellite and Road Runner were more similar than the 72 models. The 71's had the same grille, the RR hoods were different. RR had a rally dash but so did Sebring Plus Satellite models. Most Satellite's had the standard dash. The RR had different emblems on it and less chrome trim, the Satellite's had more trim, especially the Sebring Plus. There were some differences in the interior but I am not sure of all of them, slap stick floor shift came in both models as well as bucket seats.

The 72 models had a different grille for the Road Runner, it was a 1-year only grille and is very spendy and rare. Everything else has the differences I listed for the 71. The 72 also had a different rear bumper than the 71, the front bumper was the same. The fenders also had different side marker lights between 71 & 72, but there were no difference between Satellite and RR fenders.

If you wanted to make a Satellite look like a RR, I would go with the hood swap, install a rally dash, stripes and wheels, and you will be looking sharp! Also a 340, 400, or 440 would be sweet!

I like these cars too, I still have my very first car, a 1974 Satellite Sebring Plus. I installed the RR hood for looks cause they look sweet, everything else is all Satellite, including the Sebring trim and rally dash.

Satellite 008.jpg

Satellite 001.jpg

sometimes its better to get a satellite and clone it to a roadrunner.... satellite usually had power steering, power disk brakes, and ac. if your not worried about numbers or resale value.. pick up a satellite cheaper, change the hood, paint and stripe it and some other changes and have a nice car.

i have a 71 383 heres the pic, it is a roadrunner with some satellite stuff put on it over the years.
S5001659.jpg

Thanks for the help answering my random question guys! :D
Now to find someone who wants a duster for their satellite
>.>
<.<

The quickest way to tell a clone is the VIN: ALL road runners started with the letters "RM" . The Satellite was "RS".

I have to correct you Greg:
Satellites were H, K, P, or T. See Table below....

R42 Satellite 2Dr Hardtop 65
R45 Satellite Convertible 65

RL21 Belvedere 2Dr Sedan 67 - 70
RH23 Satellite 2Dr Hardtop 67 - 70
RH27 Satellite Convertible 67 - 70
RK41 Satellite Police 4Dr Sedan 67 - 71
RM21 Road Runner 2Dr Coupe 68 - 71
RM23 Road Runner 2Dr Hardtop 68 - 74
RM27 Road Runner Convertible 69 - 70
RP23 Sport Satellite 2Dr Hardtop 66 - 70
RP27 Sport Satellite Convertible 66 - 70
RS23 GTX 2Dr Hardtop 67 - 71
RS27 GTX Convertible 67 - 69
RT41 Satellite Taxi 4Dr Sedan 67 - 71

I believe the 71-74 Satellite Sebring Plus's were RP23's also...
And there are also the 4 Doors (41) and Wagons (45 or 46) not included in the above table.

Mopar used the second digit from 67 up to ID all Models sub-types.
M (Medium) is always the "Cheap" HiPo package; 340 Swinger, Super Bee, Road Runner
S (Special) is always the "Luxury" HiPo package; GTS, R/T, GTX

And... last tidbit of info/trivia; The P and S models always shared the same interior trim package.

Hope this helps.
Later,
Bruce B.

GTX was top of the line...more standard features...more trim...nicer interiors....more money.....more rare! (Shown with Std RoadRunner/GTX performance hood)

71 GTX 7.jpg

It's funny, that front end seems to give expressions. Like, when it's on the road it looks all tough, and mean and stuff, then look at the front end in the junk yard... It looks all sad as though it's saying... "Help me..." :)

-
Back