'71 340 Cast Intake

-

jimbo

Reaction score
Is $90 too much to pay for this intake? Also it has a 1/2" intake from the water pump which is 3/4" how will this affect cooling? I was running a 340 Torker before and it sucked air horribly, what kind of performance can I expect going back to a stock manifold?

If you want to run a stock intake, I would go with the 68/69 version. Its basically a cast iron high rise. I got mine for $50 off ebay, had it hot tanked, now its like new.

With that said.... Most are running a Performer RPM or RPM air-gap on Street/strip cars or one of the several single plane intakes on cars that see more track time.

Generally speaking...

A stock intake (or after-market) duel plane manifold will give you better off idle throttle response, with smooth low to mid range power...

Single plane manifolds trade some of that bottom end drivability for upper RPM flow.

No reason to get a 71 340 manifold unless you are running a Thermoquad.

It looks like you are running a '69 340 in your '65 Barracuda. I agree with the above. If you definitely want a stock 4-bl manifold, go with a '68'-69 version. If you were considering the '71 just because it popped up and you are open to an aftermarket, consider one that works with your motor and the rest of your car's (not just the engine's) components. I just noticed that you are also running a 3500 converter so you may want to rethink the type of manifold you run on your car. Good luck

This is a highrise manifold and fits my Edelbrock carb perfectly. Also I am able to adjust the timing with alot more room to work.I cant wait to run it around. I don't do alot of quarter mile runs with the car, but I do scare the crap out of the local Ricers quite often. I would really like to get Layson at a stoplight sometime, he lives in my neighborhood, but never attends the local shows or cruises. Go figure.

Its not a stock 71 intake then. Is it the one on ebay ? Its a LD340 if its the one Im thinking about.

I was going by the casting number 2531915
There is also 08087
Im no expert but I was going by the first and fourth didgits
second generation 2 first year 1
I'm sure you guys would know better than I would.

I was going by the casting number 2531915
There is also 08087
Im no expert but I was going by the first and fourth didgits
second generation 2 first year 1
I'm sure you guys would know better than I would.

thats not a 71 intake. 71 cast numbers are generally 34 first two digits

Praise Jesus! I just spent an hour lookin it up, and I came to the same conclusion, but is it worth $90 fricken bucks? You betcha!

Nice....

You ended up with the the stock intake we said you should use if you were going cast iron.... LOL, things worked out well.... As for the price? I paid 40 less for mine but I don't think 90 is bad.

The date would be August 8th, 1967. So it came off an early 68.

I think you did ok.

What a difference this intake makes. Car purrs like a kitten. I am thinking the Torker has been modified for decked heads as there is no warping on the surface that I can tell. Anybody need an alum ontake? $90 LOL

One minor correction.. IMO, and others, the best factory intake is the '71... I have 2 :)

-
Back