71 340 crack in oil passage

-

dart340h1973

Reaction score
I need advice. I have a 71 340 for my 73 dart sport but i found a crack in the oil passage from the oil filter to the crank. My question is can i use jb weld to fix this or is it junk? Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

How was the crack found? Can you get any clear pics of it? My gut reaction says it's junk, but it would be nice to see it.

Yeah I'd like to see it as well but maybe you can drill the passage oversize and put a copper tube in it like is done with the right oil galley to install solid roller lifters.

Thanks for the inputs. First i found the crack when i first started the engine after putting it together. When it warmed up the leak started. I thought maybe a pan gasket malfunction so i changed that but not the case. Talked to a guy who said maybe i left a oil plug out in the back of the block. So i pulled the trans out over the weekend to take a look. Thats when i found it. Don't have camera or computer skills so can't take picture sorry. Second. How do i drill out the oil passage for a tube install? Is it something i can do in my garage? Again thanks for the imput.

are you talking about the 90* oil filter adapter that is bolted to the outside of the block?

You can see the crack, or you can see oil leaking from somewhere? That is an odd place for a crack. The engine would need to be removed and completely torn down for any repair. This is not a small job assuming it even can be. I'd really suggest you find a camera and a freind that can use it.

Not the 90 degree oil filter adapter. The crack is in the block itself. I think my son can take the pictures. You know how kids are.

I'd guess he's refering to looking at the passage from the back of the block with the flywheel/flexplate removed. The casting is bulged and exposed showing the outline of the passage between the filter and main. If it's cracked/split at the back of the block I can't imagine how that could happen but GJ's idea of drilling it out and tubing it would be a way of repairing the passage as long as the block isn't cracked at the #5 main and this leak is incidential to the block damage. Just my thoughts. Sport

I think I would pressurize the system with air through your oil gauge port and making sure the crankcase was full put 40-50 psi on the block and watch to see if the leak is the entire length of the passage or just in the center area. Perhaps the oil passage was enlarged at one time and the drill used was too large or perhaps the casting is just thinner in this area. If the leak is over a small area of only an inch or two then Steve's idea of tubing the passage would work but you'll probably have to remove the engine to do this.
I'd make sure the oil passage was very clean and dry and I would epoxy the tube in place. It's possible that if the crack is minor and short you could drill a small hole at the end of each crack (to stop the crack from "running") and braze the crack sealed. Again all oil would have to be cleaned from the area and I'd find an old guy welder to do the brazing. You may end up doing a combination of both fixes but at least the latter leaves the engine in the car. Sport

It's possible that if the crack is minor and short you could drill a small hole at the end of each crack (to stop the crack from "running") and braze the crack sealed. Again all oil would have to be cleaned from the area and I'd find an old guy welder to do the brazing. You may end up doing a combination of both fixes but at least the latter leaves the engine in the car. Sport

That's exactly what I was going to mention. (where is the smile that says "I agree" on a stick)

onig

Clean that ***** up with Brake clean and grind it. Then Jb weld it. If it ever starts to leak again then maybe get it pro welded. Weird place for a crack. I'd really like to see a picture or 2. Sometimes a casting mark can look like a crack. RU absolutely sure it's a leaking crack?

-
Back