71 340 short block sat outside for last 15 years. still any good?

-
I just now thought of this.

get yourself a large rubbermaid tub, drop the block down inside of it.

go to your local dollar store or walmart or whatever and buy your self a bunch of cheap$0.90 2 litre bottles of cola pop (like coca cola or R/C but even cheaper yet...they are all about the same in acidic content)

then just empty a bunch of the cola in until it covers the hole block (probably $10-$15 in pop to do the job) and let it soak.

I know alot of people who use to let rust parts sit in coke and that stuff would eat rust like none other.

might want to give that a try....easy cheap thing to try

HAHA kind of like was posted above but instead of the molasses use a cola.

I heard back in the day that machine shops and factories use to keep "coke on tap" so to speak to use for there parts cleaning needs rather is be rust eliminating or oxidization removing or grease cleaning.

pretty tough stuff

luckily, this my block is not nearly as bad, and the pistons/rods came out witout much effort. i know ill be going to the fertilizer store tommorow.lol

A place called metal rehab in arlington tx. Dips stuff like that i dipped my trans and it looks brand new

Heres a std. bore 340 block that I picked up last winter for $100. Believe it or not this thing cleaned up like new and doesn't even need bored. Sorry I don't have a after pic.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 103
yea, it is rusted, but this block does not look too bad, and even the crank looks real good. so all i have to do is a set of rods/pistons. maybe i will try to find a set of stock 70-71 piston/rod combo from someone

Heres a std. bore 340 block that I picked up last winter for $100. Believe it or not this thing cleaned up like new and doesn't even need bored. Sorry I don't have a after pic.

How did you clean it up? Kinda surprised to hear the cylinder walls weren't pitted bad by the looks of it.

How did you clean it up? Kinda surprised to hear the cylinder walls weren't pitted bad by the looks of it.

I believe the machine shop gave it a Acid bath, the rust in the cylinders had no pitting at all. All of the rust was just like powder.

-
Back