71-72 duster hood for a dart

-

jrg7198

Reaction score
So I bought a 74 dodge dart a few weeks ago and it’s missing the hood and I have been looking for one for weeks but no luck I’ve even tried looking for a barracuda hood but no luck but I just found a 71-72 duster hood and I’m wondering will that hood fit my dart because I’d really love to buy a hood for my car already

No fit, header panel on dart, none on a duster.

73-76 Dart or Dart sport, And 69 Barracuda will fit. The Barracuda hood will give you extra adjustment due to the hood having movable plates for the attachment bolts. Keep hunting there are many out there on different web sites.

73-76 Dart or Dart sport, And 69 Barracuda will fit. The Barracuda hood will give you extra adjustment due to the hood having movable plates for the attachment bolts. Keep hunting there are many out there on different web sites.
Yeah but this is closest to me that I can find so that’s why I’m curious if it’ll atleast fit idc about it necessarily being oerfect I just need a hood so I can drive it

look at your car - it has a painted part in front of the hood correct? Apparently the Duster hood does not. Measure your hood opening from the cowl to the painted part in front of the hood and then measure the Duster hood.

The latch won't line up. A Duster hood will not work. Not to mention it will look like hell. As mentioned above, 73-76 Dart and Dart Sport, and 69 Barracuda are the same. Should be relatively easy to find.

look at your car - it has a painted part in front of the hood correct? Apparently the Duster hood does not. Measure your hood opening from the cowl to the painted part in front of the hood and then measure the Duster hood.
I don’t have the beak on my car someone tried swapping an earlier model front end on it that’s why I want to see if it’ll fit

The latch won't line up. A Duster hood will not work. Not to mention it will look like hell. As mentioned above, 73-76 Dart and Dart Sport, and 69 Barracuda are the same. Should be relatively easy to find.
Mine has hood pins I’m not worried about the factory latch and I also don’t have the front beak that the 73-76 darts have

Without a header panel or latch, the Duster hood should bolt on and cover the engine.

I don’t have the beak on my car someone tried swapping an earlier model front end on it that’s why I want to see if it’ll fit

We absolutely need a picture of what parts are currently on your car. You can swap front clips, but if the hood doesn't match the rest of the bodywork and latch panel it won't close/latch or fit properly.

Without a header panel or latch, the Duster hood should bolt on and cover the engine.
It might bolt on, but it won't fully close or stay latched

That’s all I care about rn the front end is pretty messed up anyway I just want a hood so I can drive the thing
You won't be able to drive it without a latch panel to secure the hood, and the latch panel is different between the Duster and the Dart.

We absolutely need a picture of what parts are currently on your car. You can swap front clips, but if the hood doesn't match the rest of the bodywork and latch panel it won't close/latch or fit properly.

It might bolt on, but it won't fully close or stay latched

You won't be able to drive it without a latch panel to secure the hood, and the latch panel is different between the Duster and the Dart.
Like I said In previous replies I have hood pins so I’m not worried about the latch and also I don’t have the front beak that the 73-76 came with in the front

Like I said In previous replies I have hood pins so I’m not worried about the latch and also I don’t have the front beak that the 73-76 came with in the front
These Guys ARE Pros Man, they've been Playing Longer than I have ( first one in 89) and there's More of them. THEY want a picture or two. Heck so do I. We love Mopar pics.... just post a pic, darn it! Lol

Ok, I guess I'll post some pictures then. A Duster hood is several inches shorter than a Dart hood. That's because Duster fenders are several inches shorter than Dart fenders.

A '70-'72 Dart hood with Duster fenders. You see the problem right? Your Dart fenders would line up with the hood in this picture. The Duster hood would line up with the fenders in this picture.
img_1907-jpeg.jpg

img_1906-jpeg.jpg

And, if you have a '74 Dart Sport that doesn't have a beak, we really have NO IDEA what hood will actually fit the car, because you could be missing a whole bunch of parts. Or who knows, you could already have different fenders on the car too for all we know. You can exchange the front clip from almost any A-body onto another A-body if you take the whole thing, only one that doesn't apply is the Barracuda. What you can't do is just mix and match parts.

So yeah, since your car is not original, it will be pretty much impossible to give you any relevant information until you post a picture of what you've actually got.

Ok, I guess I'll post some pictures then. A Duster hood is several inches shorter than a Dart hood. That's because Duster fenders are several inches shorter than Dart fenders.

A '70-'72 Dart hood with Duster fenders. You see the problem right? Your Dart fenders would line up with the hood in this picture. The Duster hood would line up with the fenders in this picture.
View attachment 1716004814

View attachment 1716004815

And, if you have a '74 Dart Sport that doesn't have a beak, we really have NO IDEA what hood will actually fit the car, because you could be missing a whole bunch of parts. Or who knows, you could already have different fenders on the car too for all we know. You can exchange the front clip from almost any A-body onto another A-body if you take the whole thing, only one that doesn't apply is the Barracuda. What you can't do is just mix and match parts.

So yeah, since your car is not original, it will be pretty much impossible to give you any relevant information until you post a picture of what you've actually got.
Well Said!

Maybe he could go to Harbor Freight and get a stack o' wheels for one of them HF air spinners n trace the cowl line, hack the hood to heck and roll.... I'm only kidding ( obviously, I hope!) I don't see the problem with driving the damn thing with no hood, personally....

View attachment 1716004814

View attachment 1716004815

Welp thank you for that but here in SoCal I’m not having any luck finding the front clip without having to buy a whole car and I’m not trying to do that I’d really love to get a hood for it but I have no idea where to start

Maybe he could go to Harbor Freight and get a stack o' wheels for one of them HF air spinners n trace the cowl line, hack the hood to heck and roll.... I'm only kidding ( obviously, I hope!) I don't see the problem with driving the damn thing with no hood
Welp thank you for that but here in SoCal I’m not having any luck finding the front clip without having to buy a whole car and I’m not trying to do that I’d really love to get a hood for it but I have no idea where to start
Dude what everyone's trying to tell you is supposed to post a picture of what you got they can tell you what need so it'll fit,bro

My apologies if I sound short on patience man my bad. I just want to see you be able to get the stuff for your car so you can Drive and Enjoy YOUR MOPAR!

Neither do we.

I would love to tell you what hood would fit your car, but since your car has possibly had an earlier front clip put on it there's about 5 different hoods you might need. So we can't possibly tell you what to buy, other than saying you will have to match the hood to whatever front clip is on your car. A duster hood will not fit without Duster fenders, a hood latch support, grille and bumpers. A Dart Sport hood will not fit without the header panel (the "beak"). For all we know, you could have a '68 Dart front clip on there now.

See what I mean?

Duster with a '68 Dart front end.
img_1075sm-jpg.jpg

Dart Sport with a '67 Dart front end
00x0x_bj2xbg6reno_1200x900-jpg.jpg

Valiant front clip on a Duster
68-duster-front-jpg-jpg.jpg

Or even MY car, with a '71 Dart front clip on a '74 Duster...
img_3627_zpsy3oleyjr-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

e06f8-239e-4f7c-80ea-2a32ef2ce9f7-jpeg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

See the problem?

1nenhs.jpg

but I have no idea where to start
No idea? How about posting some pictures like SEVERAL people have suggested. This would clear up probably everything.
ALL 73-76 Darts came with this style front end:
73-2.JPG

If yours does not have this style, someone swapped parts on it. THIS is why pictures help. You are clearly not experienced enough to know how to describe what you have which is why pictures would go a LONG way toward helping you.
Personally, I have several 70-72 Duster hoods, a 72 Dart hood, a few 73-76 hood and even 73-76 Duster hoods.
You are making it impossible to help you.

No idea? How about posting some pictures like SEVERAL people have suggested. This would clear up probably everything.
ALL 73-76 Darts came with this style front end:
View attachment 1716004822

If yours does not have this style, someone swapped parts on it. THIS is why pictures help. You are clearly not experienced enough to know how to describe what you have which is why pictures would go a LONG way toward helping you.
Personally, I have several 70-72 Duster hoods, a 72 Dart hood, a few 73-76 hood and even 73-76 Duster hoods.
You are making it impossible to help you.
Oh so it's possible to help this (obviously Young) man out, but he's making it difficult? I wonder if his car has been wrecked or possibly stolen... or is that crappy of me to say that?

-
Back