71 A body sport mirror help...

-

SuperStock426

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know where I could find that square retaining washer that fits onto the toggle end of the cable that goes to the inside of the door to hold it in place so the round chrome bezel can be tightened up to hold it firm????This is on the remote adjustable mirror..It fits in behind the hole that the toggle end of the cable goes through.

20200523_163441_HDR.jpg

20200523_164035.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a new one for my Barracuda.
It's a 67, but the mechanism looks the same.

Can u see what u need in my pics?
This is what came with mirror.

IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2891.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG

I don't know how 2 of same pic got there.
If this helps, you can get mirror at Year1.
cudamike13

I just bought a new one for my Barracuda.
It's a 67, but the mechanism looks the same.

Can u see what u need in my pics?
This is what came with mirror.

View attachment 1715534159 View attachment 1715534159 View attachment 1715534160 View attachment 1715534161

I don't know how 2 of same pic got there.
If this helps, you can get mirror at Year1.
cudamike13
Yes..I need that 6 sided retaining washer that is in the lower left corner of your 1st pic..I bought my sport mirrors new through Classic Industries but the remote mirror didn't come with that part..

I will.
So far it doesn't look like it.
Mike
I have seen some of those retaining washers that were square and some round like yours..Wonder who a fella would call to order an item like this???..I have looked but can't find anyone who has just that one piece..

mclip__65202.1584927525.JPG
\
This is what your car would take.

The style below is 73 to 76 a-body. That is a nut, But you still need the clip. On a 73 and newer the nut goes on before the door panel and the clip is still used. The chrome nut is for cosmetic on a 73 it does not hold the control. Here are some 72 and earlier. There is also a holder that goes on the door on all Dusters or demons to hold the cable in the front of the door so the window doesn't the glass. In the second picture you can see the difference the bottom one is 73 and newer. So it looks like you need the chrome nut and the clip you have the wrong chrome nut for a 71. There is also three different length cables.

Left is 73 up. center is 70-72. the right is a 70 wing window Dart or Roadrunner. The hole in the door for the cable holder is under the top seal.

DSCN1772.JPG

DSCN1773.JPG

DSCN1774.JPG

DSCN0275.JPG

DSCN0278.JPG

Here is the clip. the nut is on any pre 73 with any remote they are all the same. The nuts are out there used . the clip usually gets broken from those who do not know how to remove it.
Remote mirror door clip
All I ordered was just the clip..I don't have the nut..I pulled the mirrors off of it 3 years ago and I don't really remember what was on it..Someone had pulled them off before..Here's a pic of the mirrors I ordered from Classic Industries..All they sent was the mirrors...rubber mounting gaskets..stud and nut along with the little screw which was actually a bit too small because the holes were wallowed out from years of use..If anyone else runs into the problem of the smaller screw not wanting to hold tight I came up with a good way to fix that problem that cost only 2.75 and a trip to the hardware store.

Screenshot_20200527-143924.png

Screenshot_20200527-144009.png

Last edited:
I believe I have some 71 chrome nuts. I see one in this box of spare parts setting sideways at he bottom. I am trying to picture what I have so I can just look at pictures for parts. I am getting to lazy to walk around. If interested I'll pull that box and look.

I believe I have some 71 chrome nuts. I see one in this box of spare parts setting sideways at he bottom. I am trying to picture what I have so I can just look at pictures for parts. I am getting to lazy to walk around. If interested I'll pull that box and look.
I have the original one that was on the car..What are a set of 71 original sport mirrors going for?

Finished installing the mirror's..The bezel nut they sent me with the remote mirror was wrong..Ordered retaining clip and when I tightened the bezel nut up it left a gap between the retaining clip and the neck of the bezel..I found a thick nylon washer and put it between the retaining clip and the inside of the door with a hole big enough in it that the neck of the bezel nut went through and it tightened up nicely..I tried using my original bezel nut but the pitch of the threads were different on the toggle end of the cable so the original bezel wouldn't tighten up..The nylon washer worked just fine and you can't tell it's there..

20200530_160319_HDR.jpg

View attachment 1715537951

You have a 73 mirror in a 71 car. The control is longer on 73 and newer mirror it takes all three as pictured.

You have a 73 mirror in a 71 car. The control is longer on 73 and newer mirror it takes all three as pictured.
The mirror housing and the pedestals are the same aren't they?..The mirrors I just put on the car are reproductions I purchased from Classic Industries..I have a pic of them I posted earlier in the thread..In the description of them they have them listed as 70-73 mirrors...Being reproductions they probably didn't get the control 100% correct.

Last edited:
Here is the clip. the nut is on any pre 73 with any remote they are all the same. The nuts are out there used . the clip usually gets broken from those who do not know how to remove it.
Remote mirror door clip

Looking at this old thread you just solved a problem I had. Just ordered the clip that I need from 521 Restorations. Thanks, Steve. Also got that 3-speed motor yesterday, Thanks again.

-
Back