71 and 72 hood question

-
Thanks to all whom can help. I have a 72 Demon in need of a hood. I bought one at carlisle. It says it came off a 72 Demon on it. How can I verify? I have read that 70-71 Dart/ Demon hoods are different in the hinge area. Is this true? I thought they were the same. Tod
Following your post. I changed the hood on my 72 Demon as it had the two single scoops that came on the 71 Demon. I now have a hood with the twin snorkel but when I close the hood, it won’t go all the way down near the hinged area….both sides. Anyone know why this is happening??

71 and 72 hinges are different. Was the 2 scoop hood a 72 hood that was drilled for the two scoops, or was it a 71 hood?

to clear up the controversy:

1970 Dart hood has loose plates with threaded holes inside the hood. The 1970 [and all 67-70 A body] hood hinges have small holes. The front hole is round, the rear hole is slotted to provide a bit of up and down adjustment. On this system the hood is adjustable because the threaded plate slide inside the hood. Same sort of deal as Mopar door hinges.
This however resulted in some hoods cracking at the mounting area.

So in 1971 Chrysler, corrected this by re-engineering the hood hinge and hood mount system. There may be some early 71's with the 70 type hoods.
The 71 and newer hood have a fixed threaded plate inside the hood. The hood hinges now had very large slotted holes to provide the adjustment.
No more cracking issue.
So at a glance, anll 70-72 Dart and Demon hoods appear to the same, but this difference can cause some interchangability issues.

1970 Dart hoods also have holes drilled in the front centre for the fancy Dodge script.
71-72 Dart/Demon hoods have no holes because the Dodge emblem was attached with tape on the left front.

All 70-71 Hoods have 8 holes in the bottom bracing for mounting the 70-71 dual hood scoops.
72 Dart/Demon hoods have 14 holes for mounting either the 70-71 dual scoops or the new for 72 snorkel scoop.
1972 Demons, and the rare 72 Canadian Dart 340 Special were available with the new for 72 Snorkel hood scoop, so appropriate holes for mounting this new scoop were added in 72.
70-71 scoops were not available on 72 models, but the holes were present, probably so the hood could fit 70-71 cars as crash replacement parts.

Same hood hinge update applies to Valiants and Duster. I have seen some 71's and even 72's with the older hood hinges, so Chrysler must have used up old stock randomly.

Last edited:
I also believe the crumple zones are different between a 72 hood and a 70/71 Hood

Could be.
I also believe the crumple zones are different between a 72 hood and a 70/71 Hood
I have both types, so I will have a close look.
Edit*
I looked at all my 70,71, and 72 hoods and see no crumple zones.
The 73-76 hoods do have differences in that regard, as 73 hoods have no crumple zones, and 74-76 do

Last edited:
On E-bodies the crumple zone change happened mid-'71. The '70 hoods did not have a crumple zone, the early '71 hoods were the same as '70 hoods. Then mid-'71 a crumple zone was added and continued going forward. The bolt size changed as well, the '70 used smaller bolts than the mid-'71 and up.

As for the A-bodies, well, the hoods I have are all '70 or ''71 and they've all been the same. 73+ was different, but that went along with the complete redesign of the '73+ hoods. I suppose the trick would be to compare a '73+ Dart hood to a '69 Barracuda hood, but I think the hinge changes are the biggest difference.

-
Back