71 Dart, buying brakes, ugh

-

stingdaman

Reaction score
I'm trying to get new brakes for my car, but i've ordered every set from advance listed for a 1971 dodge dart swinger. So I have a friend at auto zone ordering me both sets that he can order to see which is right. but i need a little help here!! I'm new, so any help would be great! If I need to take some more pics or more info, no problem... If theirs something here thats not orginal from a 71 someone plz tell me. If auto zone fail, its off to NAPA, and Fisher Auto Parts next! :angry7:

THANKS

IMG_3482a.jpg

IMG_3481a.jpg

IMG_3483a.jpg

IMG_3491a.jpg

IMG_3494a.jpg

IMG_1946(2).jpg

The diameter should be stamped on the edge of the outside of the drums. Might have to clean off some of the green paint but it should say something like "Max dia 9.060" or similar. I'm guessing you have 9" by 2" brakes. The books probably list only 10" brakes but those look like 9". Is it a 6 cylinder car? You might have to try getting brakes to fit an earlier A body. The computers don't necessarily list everything. If you take a drum to the store with you any decent parts guy ought to be able to get what you need. Try talking to the oldest guy working there. They've usually seen everything & know more than just what the computer tells them.

Do yourself a favor. And I mean FAVOR!!!! Go to www.rockauto.com. They will have the CORRECT PARTS FOR YOU!!! NO MATTER WHAT!!! And they will have the same products as any of the other stores for A LOT CHEAPER!!!!!

I went with the 10x2 1/2 inch setup.B.plates,drums and shoes from 87-89 Dakota,they had everything in stock.Just a thought,I was building a 8 3/4 from scratch.

Thanks so much, going to start cleaning the drums up a little tomorrow, appreciate the help. Thanks for the site.

The diameter should be stamped on the edge of the outside of the drums. Might have to clean off some of the green paint but it should say something like "Max dia 9.060" or similar. I'm guessing you have 9" by 2" brakes. The books probably list only 10" brakes but those look like 9". Is it a 6 cylinder car? You might have to try getting brakes to fit an earlier A body. The computers don't necessarily list everything. If you take a drum to the store with you any decent parts guy ought to be able to get what you need. Try talking to the oldest guy working there. They've usually seen everything & know more than just what the computer tells them.

Yea the number was 9.090, I now believe your right, 9x2.. it was originally a 6cyl, now has a 318. i believe i saw 9x2 1/2 from advance once,lol, i ordered a few sets,lol.I did talk to the oldest guy their,lol, I'm guessing he just didn't have enough grey hair yet

Wagner part number PAB330 will get the front shoes (9"X2 1/2").
Wagner part number PAB329R will get the rears (9"X2").
Hope this helps.

Wagner part number PAB330 will get the front shoes (9"X2 1/2").
Wagner part number PAB329R will get the rears (9"X2").
Hope this helps.

The pics are from the front, the 330's are not the same! if the wrongs shoes are already on their i didnt know, should i switch the front from the 9x2 to the 9x2 1/2? is the 9 in the size determined by the drum(i assume)?

Yep, the size is the inside diameter of the drum. Measure the width of the braking surface of the drum before you switch shoes. A 2 inch wide shoe will fit and work in a 2 1/2 inch drum. It's your call on switching or not, all you're giving up is 1/2" of shoe width. I'm greedy when it comes to that, I want all I can get. Don't you just love cleaning up a previous owner's mess?

hey everyone. look at the inside shot of the drum.the braking surface looks dangerously thin in the photo. for safety have the drums miked

hey everyone. look at the inside shot of the drum.the braking surface looks dangerously thin in the photo. for safety have the drums miked

Daredevil, I just need the new shoes for now,lol, im going to replace the drums, but this is just for the safety of me moving it around my driveway and garage! Thanks though!

And Cleaning up another owners mess is fun fun fun, lol! But at some point will be well worth it!

I appreciate all the help! I love this place!

Guys Thank you so much for the help! I ended up buying new Drums anyway! I've figured out unless i know what i need(part number) Advance and Auto Zone cant help me. I ended up busting the boot on the wheel cylinder and needing a new one, so I ordered it, the idiot over the phone ordered the 10" not the one for 9" drums, so I got to wait till tuesday 5-26. But im getting closer on a lil brake job! but its getting worth it!

ok got all the parts, and got the brakes on, but on the driver side i cant get the drum to go on? it seems as if the brakes are expanded but i cant see that, and they look fine to me, the drum slides right on the passenger side, thanks!( I hate learning,lol)

You need to play with the adjusters. They should slide on easy but firm,not too tight, or too loose.Should fix your problem.

-
Back