71 Dart Instrument cluster

-

65Vart

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the back of a standard (non rallye) dash cluster (what goes where)?
I see two large white plastic connectors (multi pin), 1 fuel gauge connector, and one alternator connector (red). Anything I might be missing? I seem to have some extra wires floating around in there with ends on them. This is going back together and I don't want to fry anything. Thanks

Should be 1 multi pin connector on each side. Red wire into ammeter, black wire out of ammeter. Bulb for brake system light on lower left corner. Fuel gauge should be included in one of the multi pin connectors. Three terminal voltage regulator to left of speedometer gets wire with 90 degree terminal from round capacitor? in vertical slot along with terminal on voltage regulator. See my post titled "Under dash short" for some good advise on bypassing ammeter.

Should be 1 multi pin connector on each side. Red wire into ammeter, black wire out of ammeter. Bulb for brake system light on lower left corner. Fuel gauge should be included in one of the multi pin connectors. Three terminal voltage regulator to left of speedometer gets wire with 90 degree terminal from round capacitor? in vertical slot along with terminal on voltage regulator. See my post titled "Under dash short" for some good advise on bypassing ammeter

Thank you, why would I bypass the ammeter? just curious

Read the post by 67Dart273 on my "Under dash short post" it has a link to a good explanation of why you want to bypass ammeter. The car I am working on now has had the connection at the firewall burn off and a previous owner had the power to ignition switch burn off at steering column connector. As wired from the factory all power must pass from the alternator through the bulkhead connection to ammeter then power leads branch off to ignition switch, horn relay, fuse panel and ignition switch before continuing back through the bulkhead connection to the starter relay and battery. All this current tends to heat up wires and connections until something ultimately fails.

-
Back