71 dart steering box and pitm arm

-

97reddodge

Reaction score
hey im new to the site i have a 71 dodge dart i bought it with a bad steering box, i replaced the box idler arm and steering arm, with the new box in i can only go not even a quarter turn to the left? if i switch keys on the box i can only go a quarter turn to the right there is no balance. has anyone ran into this before?

My steering box is actually at the rebuilders right now so I don't know off hand how far the arm should go each way, or how many turns of the steering wheel the car can make.

But I would take off the pitman arm and turn the steering wheel as far as it goes to one side.

Then turn the steering wheel all the way to the other side and count the number of turns you make with the steering wheel.

Go back 1/2 the number of turns...that should get you to the center of the box.

Reattach the pitman arm and see how that works for you...I would start there.

Paul

Yup. Count the turns end to end, cut them in half and center the box.

I had a HECK of a time getting my arm started on the box. I'd begun to think the splines were AFU but it finally went on there. Those splines are a tight fit and fussy.

yeah one spline is different on my pitman arm then the box so i had to cut one key off the pitman arm

finally have it turning but now the new idler arm is hitting my header something horrible!

-
Back