71 Demon crush can won't go on straight?

-

ricomondo

Reaction score
My column was apart in the Demon (Tuff wheel) for ignition switch and turn signal switch replacement. The column is currently lowered.
Went to button everything up and the can won't go back on straight? It goes almost metal to metal at the 12 o'clock position.
I checked and the master spline is lined up correctly. I put it on/off three times and the gap at the top almost touches and a larger gap at the 6 0'clock position. I tried tightening the nut by wrench, then impact and same result.
Should be an easy install. What could I be doing or what could be out of whack?

Did you use a proper puller when you removed it? I have come across bent ones before and I can only assume it was caused by an accident or someone didnt pull it correctly.

Looks for burs on the splines. Run a dental pick down each one and see if it hangs up.

My column was apart in the Demon (Tuff wheel) for ignition switch and turn signal switch replacement. The column is currently lowered.
Went to button everything up and the can won't go back on straight? It goes almost metal to metal at the 12 o'clock position.
I checked and the master spline is lined up correctly. I put it on/off three times and the gap at the top almost touches and a larger gap at the 6 0'clock position. I tried tightening the nut by wrench, then impact and same result.
Should be an easy install. What could I be doing or what could be out of whack?

Hi, what do you mean can. The sleeve that bolts on with the two square back bolts that key into the sleeve? If so that ***** tricky to get right and one of the bolts probably came unseated.

Hi, what do you mean can. The sleeve that bolts on with the two square back bolts that key into the sleeve? If so that’s ***** tricky to get right and one of the bolts probably came unseated.
I believe he is talking about the Tuff wheel adapter can. The E-bodies have a crush can.

DSCN1248.JPG

DSCN1251.JPG

If the shaft isn't centered in the tube (column hanging down) that would make the splined end on an angle. I would try fastening it back up, then try.

If the shaft isn't centered in the tube (column hanging down) that would make the splined end on an angle. I would try fastening it back up, then try.

I think this may be the issue, now that you mention it! I will post up a pic.

Thank you!

-
Back