'71 Demon - patch panel options???

-

greazerlou

Reaction score
Hello all,
71 demon. Rust Scenario as follows...
Both rear quarters about 2-3" up from the bottom. From behind the wheels, most of the way back. Both floor pans from just in front of the seats, all the way to just before the floor pan/firewall seam is. A little bit on the rockers and a little more on the fenders (those arent a problem, theyre getting replaced with 'glass). After looking at what replacement sheetmetal costs, I decided to start looking for a donor car to buy/junk after I take what I need from it. My question is, am I limited to 70-72 Dusters/Demons or is the sheetmetal I need the same on the 73 & up Dusters/Dart Sports??? The fenders are getting replaced with fiberglass, the floors and rocker sections just need to be "close" but I dont wanna graft on later quarter bottoms if theyre a different shape than what I got. Does anyone know for sure?

You can see from the pics the lines are VERY similar but not exact but id think with a little creativity with a hammer, dolly and the edge of a metal break you could make it work if you found used, clean quarters from a 73 up duster. First one is 71 demon and second is 73 duster. Then again, i dont own either one, im just using the pics as a side by side refrence for you.

Attachments

• demon.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 181
  • duster.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 176
Man, they look identical to me!!! lol, thanks for the info, I think im gonna take the Demon and physically look at a couple of 73 & up cars that are for sale in my area. Thanks man!

They are the same, just the marker light and location of it are different.
FWIW, i would just weld in new metal.
Your chances of finding a truly rust free patch in this area on a donor car is not good.
It would be cheaper, better, and easier to buy what you need from AMD than to buy a car and cut it up.
My 2 cents.

Thanks for the official word Tom! I wasnt sure if they were identical from the glare on the pics. But i do agree with you. Greazerlou, just make patch panels unless you have clean used originals from a duster. And if you do, make ur job easier and use the full panel by drilling spot welds out.

Hey I've got a set of replacement rockers that I'm not goingt to use. Let me know if you're interested.

Ted

thanks everybody, the clarification is greatly appreciated! Rust free cars are actually pretty common out here in So Cal. im pretty surprised that the Demon has this much rot on it. finding a donor car wont be too hard, but the jem im looking for is also gonna have a 1/2 way decent interior because its about as messed up as the body is!!! lol - so lets see, a cheap, rust free 1970-1975 duster/demon/dart sport with a useable inrerior... i got some lookin' ahead of me!!! anyway, thanks again guys, the clarification helped out a lot :)

-
Back