71 Duster 340 carb replacement

-

ish

Reaction score
Currently have a Edelbrock 1407 on my 340, it's ancient ( about 15 yrs ) if the car sits for a day or two, I have to really pump the gas pedal to get it to start. Was told the gas is leaking back out of the bowls coming from a "warped" base, something these carbs are prone to do after time. Told these carbs are only good for about 5 yrs. What I'd like to is replace the carb, but don't know what carb to go to. Summit has a "remanufactured" ThermoQuad for $305.. Anyone have something to add?. My Duster is a 71 340, 4 spd, 3:91 gears all original car and also I'm the "original owner" and it's beautiful!!!!

I'm a big fan of the Street Avenger holley carbs. Almost all combinations need a squirter upgrade and/or put the pink cam on the #2 hole, but other than that they are typically trouble free and make awesome power.

Recently had a 383 Road Runner on my dyno and it picked up 20 peak and 40 average rwhp/torque switching from a 750 edelbrock to a 650 Street Avenger.

Also, people have been having great luck with these new thermoquad style Street Demon carbs from Holley...

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/demon/street_demon/parts/1904

If the engine is basically stock a Holley 650 would work fine..

Edelbrock thunder series 650
What i run on my 400hp 340, i think a 750 will be to much for a stock engine
But thats my opinion

Cant go wrong with either a edelbrock or holley

Since you said original I'll assume you are using the cast iron intake. It's very easy to check if fuel is leaking. Pull the carb and use some bolts and nuts to set the carb on a flat surface. Fill the fuel bowl and see if it is really dripping fuel. Today's fuel evaporates very fast.

I would put a correct Thermoquad - again - on it.

This was the stock carburation and it works really fine....

Since you said original I'll assume you are using the cast iron intake. It's very easy to check if fuel is leaking. Pull the carb and use some bolts and nuts to set the carb on a flat surface. Fill the fuel bowl and see if it is really dripping fuel. Today's fuel evaporates very fast.

There you go.
Back to basics.
This is the right answer.

i don't think it is possible to leak out the bottom

If the throttle plate is warped it can.
Fuel bowl is small on Eddys and could be boiling off some of the fuel when parked hot. Car sits another day or two and evaps whats left. Adding a small flow thru electric pump to prime the bowl works good. After startup you turn it off and the mechanical pump takes over.

I run a TQ with thick base gasket, insulated fuel line, and mechanical OEM pump in FL with no issues.

-
Back