'71 Duster 340...maybe...

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it's not, they came both ways in on 71 dusters. They could of came "duster 340 with cloud" or just "duster and the cloud". I think early ones had the "duster 340 cloud" and some where along the way it changed to the "duster and cloud". The car above actually had the tail stripe but was removed along time ago along with the side moldings. If you look close you can see the out line of it and can also notice the "duster 340 cloud" decal is missing the section that was on the tail stripe. Here's a picture of a duster in it's orginal paint with just the "duster and cloud". Wedges sassy grass green v24 came with just the duster and the cloud on the tail panel. I've got to find the post that had Ryan's hemi orange v24 3 speed duster as I think his was built a month after mine. It was probably different from plant to plant as well.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,652
I had talked to him (pm'ed him) way back.. when he first posted. He had sent me his tag. It wasn't originally coded as it was shown except for the wing (add on). His car was a twin for mine but his was a 4sp car. Both his car and mine have the chrome mirrors with the V24 option and both are GA4.

I've seen actually quite of few 71 v24 cars with that decal on the tail panel and a few with the 70 style spoiler. Mines all original and it has it and I've got a few other suvivor pics with it. I'm wondering when they switched over to just the duster with the cloud, I need to start collecting data on the cars I save pics of

Like i said it is possible to have the earlier spoiler, but the tail panel decal (not the stripe itself) is supposed to be the Duster with cloud for 1971, 1970 had Duster 340 and the cloud. Most all "restored" cars i've seen get it wrong and put the 1970 duster 340 cloud on it. Of course Mopar is notorious for using left over parts so some might have slipped through with the 1970 decal in 1971. My car has all the original panels and parts except carb. and has a 1972 trunk lid, 1972 bumpers and a blue engine because my car was built July 9th and they were gearing up for 1972 production.

I've seen actually quite of few 71 v24 cars with that decal on the tail panel and a few with the 70 style spoiler. Mines all original and it has it and I've got a few other suvivor pics with it. I'm wondering when they switched over to just the duster with the cloud, I need to start collecting data on the cars I save pics of

Like i said it is possible to have the earlier spoiler, but the tail panel decal (not the stripe itself) is supposed to be the Duster with cloud for 1971, 1970 had Duster 340 and the cloud. Most all "restored" cars i've seen get it wrong and put the 1970 duster 340 cloud on it. Of course Mopar is notorious for using left over parts so some might have slipped through with the 1970 decal in 1971. My car has all the original panels and parts except carb. and has a 1972 trunk lid, 1972 bumpers and a blue engine because my car was built July 9th and they were gearing up for 1972 production.
I'v only ever seen the "340 duster" on the tail panels, of all the original 71 340 cars around here, including mine, but mine is an early build car ( sept 70). The "duster" lettering like you have is generally only on non-340 cars ( 318/ slant 6), so this is pretty interesting....I think it's possibly the plant in which they were built, that determined which decal the cars recieved. I have seen some late 71's with the ribbed trunk lid, but have never noticed any with slotted bumpers, or a blue engine. You'rs must be a late build car. Do you have electronic ignition as well? just curious? All interesting stuff.....

Yes, trunk lid ribbed, bumper slots, blue engine, black steel wheels,standard points ignition (Hamtramck built) my car is a high vin 452XXX, i believe production stopped July 9th or the 12th and then the factory was shut down for a week or two to retool for the 1972 models

Nice butterscotch car!! It's now a known fact that that they came both ways "duster 340 with cloud", and "duster with cloud" and with the info you guys are giving it looks to have changed later in production probably after they ran out of the duster 340 cloud stickers. Mines a Nov. build with the 340. Good info guys thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJCMFCgIDnLF0BQoF(wE5Hg~~60_3.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,157
ya, this has really turn'ed in to an interesting thread. Another interesting thing I'v noticed is the some of the early 71' cars I'v looked at have the 'X" heads, and somewhere along the line they switched to the "J" casting heads. I suspect, they were using up what was left over from 70' production models.

I still have the car. It's not a fake and I'm not a ghost, yet I haven't gotten the call from some perspective buyer saying they would like to look. Other strange events happened since my 2009 post too. It's parked in my folks garage. The link to the photos has changed...megahosted.com was renamed to moparphotos.???, but try

http://megahosted.com/albums/n5lfh/
or
http://www.megahosted.com/albums/n5lfh/

strange format and I haven't added new photos in years...the http experts would know why one link would list files, yet the other link would show a more organized list, but look for Greg's (2nd) 71 duster 340 or n5lfh in the file list...maybe www before the link has something to do with it.
I don't follow FABO much and was surprised to see some comments just last month!

I don't see the fender tag photo, but I didn't open all the jpg's...was sure it was there. Seems I read it's not good policy to make public such things, so I might have jerked em then. Some photos that I deleted years ago have returned too.
The last attention to the car...met and got Dave (demonsizzler) to rebuild the TQ a few months ago...It's still in the box...just haven't had time to put it back.
The comments of doubt by people 3 years ago lead me to be firm with the inspection policy. I'm not a Galen G...there are rumors and experts in mass and I'm not one, but I do know a few things about this years model car. Above all the weird inquires I got, I lost interest in selling when someone offered me $2200 (in 2009) for the grille. Later, I caught two gals, age 13 and 15, trying to steal the hood in a Walmart parking lot...it was featured on the band Cars album sleeve...no ****!!

Greg

Nice butterscotch car!! It's now a known fact that that they came both ways "duster 340 with cloud", and "duster with cloud" and with the info you guys are giving it looks to have changed later in production probably after they ran out of the duster 340 cloud stickers. Mines a Nov. build with the 340. Good info guys thanks for sharing.

My original Duster had the 340 cloud. It was delivered 'bout June 12, 1971. IF some cars were built Feb. '71 or later, there could be many varations. My 1st duster was ordered in March '71, should have been delivered Mid May '71...Auto workers were on strike when I ordered. My uncle found out the reason for my delayed delivery after much BS from the dealer. Years later, I talked to a gent that knew lots about the strike and he pointed out cars were partialy ***'y on one line then railed to another plant to complete. This could happen 3-4 times during ***'y. He said it's dam near impossible to see identically common standards during that time. Company payroll engineers and who knows was ***'y cars. A close friend ordered a '71 Hemi cuda about 2 weeks after my duster order...probably apr. '71. It was delivered seems june 4. The high priced cars were getting preference on the ***'y line cause of money. Mine cost $2804...expensive for a Duster.
Greg

I would love to see the fender tag........If that is a real V-24 car, then it would be the first one I'v ever seen with chrome mirrors. I'm not saying it's not correct, but I'v never seen that before.

The tag is in my Member photo gallery or vBPicGallery. I don't know how to attach in a post. It appears, I can't upload a photo (jpg) into a post.
Greg

PS...Cool, it worked...only took 2 hrs and a blue screen. Seems there is a code for the upper door color.

N95 = emissions....This car was built in LA
B51 = power brakes...This car has large manual drums all around
G37 = OS Dual Racing Mirrors....does that mean chrome? my 1st had colored racing mirrors
Wish I could find the build sheet, but I haven't looked everywhere.

Interesting...Ryan's tag was left unscrewed while painting on the left side, mine on the right. Both have the larger screw on the left tho. I think it's these details the man mentioned that happened during the strike ***'ys.

Attachments

• duster door vin 1.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,028
  • fender codes.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,025
I remember this owner and his car, from back in that time period. I agreethat this is likely NOT a v24 car; But having said that - the Winchester Gray could make a cool '71 340 Duster and rare color at that!

Somehow I vaguely recall that the owner finally encountered a health issue and he may now be deceased, but it's speculation. I thought that this car was either sold on Moparts or was talked about there, and perhaps the car was sold-even on Ebay.

The spoiler is wrong but I'd like to see the fender tag.

Even still- a 1971 Duster 340 4 speed with chrome sport mirrors in Winchester Gray is a cool car!

Oh God don't think that...sounds like Big Jake...."I thought you were dead". Probably the health news was my daughter. She went thru Radiation/Chemo starting apr/may 2009. Wasn't over everything until Aug. and still over it now.
The thought of selling is driven by following thru with the detatchment of a lost family member. Sometimes it takes removing items to face reality..."won't happen to me, but it did". The car brings good memories some days and bad dreams on others. In the hay days, Hemi's still generated a WOW, but winged cars weren't worth spit. I was whipping '70 428 Torino's with a 4-speed A body...might have even been running the A/C. Big block Camaros and Mustangs were a dime a dozen. Wish I had a picture of every shiny new muscle I've seen on the dealer's lots...

Greg

Cool, great to hear you still kicking(lol). Thanks for posting the tag, I had always wanted your car and would of gave you your asking price sight unseen. The v24 cars are my favorite and I always thought about yours. I'd look at the pics every once and a while and the last time I saw a couple of thing that made me wonder if it was a real v24 car but after looking at your tag I now relize I was wrong, thanks for posting the pics of the tag. Mine was a side molding car as well and I swaped over to the side stripes as well.

Cool, great to hear you still kicking(lol). Thanks for posting the tag, I had always wanted your car and would of gave you your asking price sight unseen. The v24 cars are my favorite and I always thought about yours. I'd look at the pics every once and a while and the last time I saw a couple of thing that made me wonder if it was a real v24 car but after looking at your tag I now relize I was wrong, thanks for posting the pics of the tag. Mine was a side molding car as well and I swaped over to the side stripes as well.

Macho, Do you still have that Duster that was for sale on Craigslist? Got a buddy looking for one.

Looks nice!

VS29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H1E: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Los Angeles, CA, USA

142888: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
GA4: Light Gunmetal Poly Exterior Color
L6X9: Trim - Low, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
5X8: Unknown Int. Door Frames
302: Build Date: March 02
309747: Order number

6A4: Light Gunmetal Poly Top Color
U: USA Specifications
B51: Power Brakes
C55: Bucket Seats
G37: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
M21: Roof drip rail moldings

N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
N95: Emissions Control
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V24: Unknown
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black

V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

So after all the threads and all this time since the first post, is the car for sale and for how much? If not it should be moved to the general discussion forum.

Looks nice!

VS29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H1E: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Los Angeles, CA, USA

142888: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
GA4: Light Gunmetal Poly Exterior Color
L6X9: Trim - Low, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
5X8: Unknown Int. Door Frames
302: Build Date: March 02
309747: Order number

6A4: Light Gunmetal Poly Top Color
U: USA Specifications
B51: Power Brakes
C55: Bucket Seats
G37: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
M21: Roof drip rail moldings

N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
N95: Emissions Control
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V24: Unknown
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black

V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

Im pretty sure V5X is side stripe delete, also looking at the original paint photo of my LA built 71 340 Duster is no 340 in the cloud from whay i can see.

V5X is the side moulding in black, no actual side stripe.

Online decoders kind of suck most of the time.

So after all the threads and all this time since the first post, is the car for sale and for how much? If not it should be moved to the general discussion forum.

I'm too busy to go thru a sale, so moving it to the proper area would be best.

Greg

I'd look at the pics every once and a while and the last time I saw a couple of thing that made me wonder if it was a real v24 car .

A PO repainted the Organsol black, gloss black. There was/is a small amount of the original paint on the edge of the upper door window openings. They didn't remove the window fuzzies when the gloss was shot or taped over it when they blasted. If I hadn't known what the original paint texture looked like, I thought the gloss was added to a non V24 car.

Greg

Actually it's not, they came both ways in on 71 dusters. They could of came "duster 340 with cloud" or just "duster and the cloud". I think early ones had the "duster 340 cloud" and some where along the way it changed to the "duster and cloud". The car above actually had the tail stripe but was removed along time ago along with the side moldings. If you look close you can see the out line of it and can also notice the "duster 340 cloud" decal is missing the section that was on the tail stripe. Here's a picture of a duster in it's orginal paint with just the "duster and cloud". Wedges sassy grass green v24 came with just the duster and the cloud on the tail panel. I've got to find the post that had Ryan's hemi orange v24 3 speed duster as I think his was built a month after mine. It was probably different from plant to plant as well.[

do you still have this Duster, if so how much please reply
thank Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back