71 duster 7 1/4 - 8 3/4 conversion

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
Are the u bolts same size ? Where and what to order to bolt this thing in place.

also I have the larger break option on it with large bolt pattern axles . Because it came that way . Can I get small bolt pattern if I wanted to put on ? Or will that not work?

Stock it’s. 71 duster 198 slant 7.25 rear with 7.73 gears I think

I have a 4 speed 833 set up to bolt right to my slant , and new 8.75 rear with 3.23 limited slip rear to put in this car over winter. Trying to have all parts ready to rock for this conversion

Are the u bolts same size ? Where and what to order to bolt this thing in place.

also I have the larger break option on it with large bolt pattern axles . Because it came that way . Can I get small bolt pattern if I wanted to put on ? Or will that not work?

Stock it’s. 71 duster 198 slant 7.25 rear with 7.73 gears I think

I have a 4 speed 833 set up to bolt right to my slant , and new 8.75 rear with 3.23 limited slip rear to put in this car over winter. Trying to have all parts ready to rock for this conversion
A few things here the diameter of the 8 and 3/4 is larger than the seven and a quarter so yes you need wider spread on your u bolts and also the shock plates on the bottom are going to have to be larger. All eight and three quarter a body axles came with small bolt pattern axles. So if those are large pattern they were custom... Some gurus May chime in to argue that but I don't care... You may need to think about the length of your driveline as well along with the size of your slip yoke that goes in the transmission.. keep asking questions and doing your studying and you'll still find something you don't have LOL...
It's not impossible though.. sounds like if you do all this the only thing you're missing is some horsepower...:poke:..

Make sure that’s an a body housing. If it has big bolt pattern axles it may be a b body housing. Should be 43” between the center holes of the spring perches. I believe they use 3” u bolts, but you need the correct 8 3/4 shock plates.

-
Back