71 Duster alternator help

-

6671dartster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a problem. I found that my battery is not charging on my Duster. It has a 318. It has what appears to be a new reman Alt. I am going to have it tested tomarrow, but I found an issue with the wiring. There are two posts on the back with two nuts that two wire are attached. Then there are two male end connectors, but only one wire is going to it, the one that is between the two posts. The other male end is more towards the top of the alt. I looked at the harness, and there are no other wires to plug in. Is this the wrong alternator? The wires do not look like they have been molested. Any pics would help. Not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Your alternator should look something like this photo:

There should be a total of 3 wires hooked to the alternator

1 Large stud at the very top of the photo is the output stud, should have a large about no10 wire, black hooked to that

2--one of the male spade "push on" connectors should have a GREEN wire which goes to the regulator

3--the other male spade should have a BLUE wire

IT DOES NOT matter which male connector the blue and green wire hooks to

This is of course assuming someone has not hacked up the wiring, somehow. DID it work previous? Did you just buy the car?

PaXFEegBYxGGogC.jpg

Thats exactly what the alt looks like. Yes three weeks ago. A lot of problems with it, now this is one more to add to the list. I guess ill have to play mad scientist a trace some wires. Its an octopus of wires under there. Dont think it worked, the guy put in a new battery thats what the car ran on. Havent been able to drive it, fixen issues. Thanks forr the pic.

We really need a complete well written sticky for charging systems at the top of this page it seems to be the most common question asked. A sticky for fuel gauges couldn't hurt either.

We really need a complete well written sticky for charging systems at the top of this page it seems to be the most common question asked. A sticky for fuel gauges couldn't hurt either.

i could not agree more. single and dual ballast ignition systems and charging systems along with starter relay, seat belt interlock and NSS. it seems these topics pop up every single day.

Thanks guys. I took it to our local alt rebuild shop. They tested it and it is junk. They also told me that it is the wrong one. So I have the correct one and will have it rebuilt there for $50.00. Thanks guys. I will double check the wires just to make sure. Thanks for the pic and diagram

-
Back