'71 Duster Brake Pedal Switch

-

Hueydriver

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The brake lights on my Duster do not illuminate until heavy pressure is applied to the pedal. How do I adjust the pedal / switch to allow the lights to illuminate with a lighter touch to the pedal?

Look under the dash from the driver's side by the column. Look at the brake switch. Notice that there is a threaded bolt coming out. Now look for the head of that bolt from the passanger side of the steering column.

Loosen that bolt and then slide the bracket till you have the brake adjustment you like.

Your bracket your switch is on might look diferent

Screenshot_20220924-213518.png
Screenshot_20220924-213604.png
Screenshot_20220924-213651.png
Screenshot_20220924-213720.png
Screenshot_20220924-213807.png

Last edited:
THANKS!!! I thought it was something like this. I will let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
It is super simple once you know where the bolt is.
The switch needs to break the connection on the switch when the pedal is at its normal resting point, too much and no lights till a lot of pedal movement, too little the lights will come on all by thenselves once in a while.

Also there are threaded shank adjustable switches if you paw around a bit

Well, if you take away the issues that I am almost 6 foot tall, 220 pounds, and at 68 not as flexible as I once was, this really was a fairly simple procedure. Biggest issues were locating the adjustment bolt and getting correct socket, and finally figuring out the proper body contortions (remember I am older and not so flexible). But even with all that the end result was positive and as you stated, simple to do. I could have made it easier on myself if I had popped the steering wheel off to give myself so more maneuver room, but it still went well. Thanks again for the assist. This is why I love this forum, it enables even non-gearheads like me to keep my ride on the road.

When ever I work under the dash for a major operation I remove my front seat.

Bench - 4 bolts and I have all the room in the world.

-
Back