71 duster fuel tank pipe work question.

-

uk dart

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just removed this tank from a 70/71 duster,
Anybody know what the purpose of all these pipes are ?
I’m assuming they are just vent pipes .
Inside the top of the fuel tank there is a separate chamber.
I’m wanting to replace the tank but have not seen one like this,
Was thinking of just replacing it with a tank with just one breather.
Any thoughts
Thanks.

51594672-F78F-4770-91A8-EFE2F55FB5AB.jpeg

11FE5880-6172-4603-B268-105CFB1BE9DE.jpeg

64CDCD1F-BC08-4129-B4FB-CF2F465C48D2.jpeg

83CE91F1-EF75-48D1-BE7A-DEF424DBC2C7.jpeg

Yup you can look that up in the 72 ish service manual which you can download free from MyMopar. When that was all connected for the evap / carbon can stuff, THAT WAS the vent for the tank. Be certain you rebuild the system in such a way that you do have a vent.

My personal choice would be to modify the system (the filler pipe) so it vents like a 69/ earlier, which is also diagrammed in the 69/ earlier service manuals.

Yup you can look that up in the 72 ish service manual which you can download free from MyMopar. When that was all connected for the evap / carbon can stuff, THAT WAS the vent for the tank. Be certain you rebuild the system in such a way that you do have a vent.

My personal choice would be to modify the system (the filler pipe) so it vents like a 69/ earlier, which is also diagrammed in the 69/ earlier service manuals.
Thanks a lot for the info fellas,
I will probably modify to the earlier system.
But anybody got any good pics of the bending close to the top of the rear quarter, looks tricky to bend.
Alternatively I have a replacement tank from a 72 Dart that has a single vent above the sender, could I not just connect a pipe to that then bring it to the top and out of the fuel filler pipe neck.

A single vent out of the tank is likely got the vapor separation built into the tank like the later model cars. And that would be the vent. I don't understand, however, what you mean about 'bringing it out the vent".

IF you can determine that tank has the separator in the tank (look in the sender hole) then the best plan is to duplicate part of the evap system---run a parallel tube up to the front, up high on the firewall. If you want you can plumb it into the air bonnet to help reduce smell.

Frankly, again, the best vent system is to duplicate the 69/ earlier system. Because of the way they are made, and the fact that sealed non vented caps were used, this means that fuel leakage in the worst of conditions would never involve the filller. Let's say you REALLY overfilled it. And then parked at an odd angle (diagonal parking in San Francisco hills) that placed the filler on the downward side. Worst thing that would happen is that expansion would dribble some fuel out the vent line under the car. Once the fuel got down below the vent tap in the filler neck, it would "break" the siphon. If further expansion drove the level up in the tank far enough, it would dribble a bit more And son on.

A single vent out of the tank is likely got the vapor separation built into the tank like the later model cars. And that would be the vent. I don't understand, however, what you mean about 'bringing it out the vent".

IF you can determine that tank has the separator in the tank (look in the sender hole) then the best plan is to duplicate part of the evap system---run a parallel tube up to the front, up high on the firewall. If you want you can plumb it into the air bonnet to help reduce smell.

Frankly, again, the best vent system is to duplicate the 69/ earlier system. Because of the way they are made, and the fact that sealed non vented caps were used, this means that fuel leakage in the worst of conditions would never involve the filller. Let's say you REALLY overfilled it. And then parked at an odd angle (diagonal parking in San Francisco hills) that placed the filler on the downward side. Worst thing that would happen is that expansion would dribble some fuel out the vent line under the car. Once the fuel got down below the vent tap in the filler neck, it would "break" the siphon. If further expansion drove the level up in the tank far enough, it would dribble a bit more And son on.
Hi yes the tank has the separator vent, so I will just run a separate line to vent it high up under the hood.
Once again thank you very much for your help.
Until the next time.

-
Back