71 Duster: how do you remove metal and vinyl trim under pop-out windows?

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm quickly beginning to understand why the labor charge is so high to install a new headliner. It is tucked under the trim on the sides and under the front and rear window gaskets.

I'm pulling off the trim inside my car and I'm currently stumped while trying to get the metal piece off that is partially around and under the rear pop-out window. With screws removed and the back part of the metal pulled away from the side a bit - I can see that the metal trim needs to slide forward - towards the front of the car - but it seems to be held by something under the vinyl trim that is below. The vinyl trim is another thing I want to remove - but can't tell how hard to pull where without breaking something. Are there screws under the vinyl that are holding the metal trim above?

Some tips here would be appreciated - I don't want to destroy this stuff while trying to remove it.

tx,
Ken

Ken,
Yes there are hidden screws holding the metal panel. The upholstery panel is held in place with clips that pop into the side. You will have to pry on the panel to get the clips to release. I believe there are 3 or 4 across the top and 2 or 3 more going down the front edge. You do have to be careful where you pry because the clips may pull thru the uphoulstery backer and stay stuck in the car.
Dont be tempted to use a screwdriver, find something that will apply leverage over a larger area. a 2 or 3 inch wide stiff putty knife wrapped with a few layers of tape for protecting the parts has worked for me in the past. I bought a few cheap pry tools from Harbor freight now.

Attachments

• harbor tools.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 188
Do you have a chrome strip between the metal and the vinyl panel?
If you do, then that holds the upper portion of the panel in place, and there will only be clips going down the front.

If I remember right from doing my 72, you have to pop the rear side panels off to gain access to the screw heads on the chrome transition strip,alone with the visible screws in the sail panel itself,then pop the rear windows open to the sail panel can clear where the hinge is and the panel should pop right off.

I got my headliner from yearone, its not a perfect fit but its not TOO shabby.

the fit around the rear windshield gasket is a little to tight and buldges the gasket a bit and the same problem on the sides where the metal trim between the sail panel and pillar trim is it also fits tight....I need to peel the material of the headliner back some and trim some of the abs headliner and spray some tack glue and wrap the material back over for a more comfortable fit.

a tip for lining things up (depending on what brand of headliner you went with) but if yours was line mine it did not come with holes for the coat hanger hooks ( I decided not to reinstall mine anyhow) but it didnt come with pre cut holes for the rear view mirror also.

so what I did was I put the mounting screws for the rear view mirror in the holes and I dabed red paint on the screw heads......with the headliner in place and the red paint still wet I pressed the headliner up against the screw heads and the end result was 3 red dots on the backside of my headliner.

then I took a soldering iron and with one hand I pulled down on the front of the headliner for a little more access at the red dots I left and with the other hand I took the tip of the soldering iron and melted a hole in each red dot.

made lining up the rear view mirror a snap.

hope that helps a little?

Hmmmmm. Good info and thanks. I do have the chrome strip between the vinyl panel and the metal panel that one of you referred to as a "sail".

I'm still trying to picture the retaining clips in the side panel before I start to pry. I seem to recall pulling off a panel on the driver's side door many years ago and it was a wire-like spring clip that protruded perpendicular from the panel and passed thru and undersized hole in the metal on the door. Is that the type of clip you recall seeing?

If yes - then I assume that I need to slide a flat bar as far as I can under the front edge of the panel and pry away from the side (towards the opposide side of the car).

Does that sound right?

Thanks also for the tips on the headliner installation. I need to get orgainized and save these responses where I can find them when when I buy hardware for specific tasks. I'm currently in the taking-apart stage and I have already collected info on rebuilding door hindges, dealing with rust, and a replacement air conditioning system. Lots to do and a doggone full time job and a yard to work around my car project. :)

Thanks again for your help.
Ken

I'm still trying to picture the retaining clips in the side panel before I start to pry. I seem to recall pulling off a panel on the driver's side door many years ago and it was a wire-like spring clip that protruded perpendicular from the panel and passed thru and undersized hole in the metal on the door. Is that the type of clip you recall seeing?

If yes - then I assume that I need to slide a flat bar as far as I can under the front edge of the panel and pry away from the side (towards the opposide side of the car).

Does that sound right?

That sound right. These are the 2 types used most, they work the same.

Attachments

• door clip.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 196
  • door clip1.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 164
Success! Your info was right on the mark. As you said, there were clips along the front edge of the panel that allowed me to pry the panel away from the side. The panel was also held in place by a strip of non-hardening adhesive that was run up the back edge, along the top (on the lower edge of the chrome strip) and then down the right side. With this removed - three screws in the chrome strip were easily removed and then the metal sail was free to slide forward and off.

With the side trim removed - I can see that the headliner installation shouldn't be too difficult while I have the windshield and rear window removed. I'd guess that it could be installed with the gaskets in place but would be more difficult.

Thanks again for the help.
Ken

-
Back