71 Duster Project.

-

jeffhead

Reaction score
I got it finally. 71 Duster 318 w 904 trans cant find any vin#'s and any help with it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff
:blob:

Attachments

• 71 Duster 001.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 312
  • 71 Duster 006.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 71 Duster 005.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 71 Duster 004.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 71 Duster 003.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 304
  • 71 Duster 002.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 303
Somebody took it with the dash. Anything on the drivers door? Might find
it stamped on the core support. Any fender tags on drivers front inner
fender?

I have the same problem with a drag Demon I bought - no dash, no VIN. I think the fix would be to find someone who is scrapping / parting out a 71 Demon and buy the VIN tag with a bill of sale for the car. That is all we need in AL.

You won't find a complete vin on the car that I know of.

Look here for the last 8 of the vin.

Attachments

• 71 Duster 005.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 277
Thanks for the help with the vin... here is what I found ( B I 270515 ) or ( B 1 270515 ) So does this tell me anything or how can I get the vin tag for the dash and fender with this?? Thanks and the help is greatly appreciated....Jeff

Thanks for the help with the vin... here is what I found ( B I 270515 ) or ( B 1 270515 ) So does this tell me anything or how can I get the vin tag for the dash and fender with this?? Thanks and the help is greatly appreciated....Jeff

the vin is most likely vh29g1b270515 from looking at the car,with ac and v8,auto.....thats my guess anyway.my 71 demon has b1 then the last 6 digits of vin in package tray.

Mikebee hit it with the likely VIN.

Don't sweat a fender tag. It won't be worth the trouble of making one up or the price.

the vin is most likely vh29g1b270515 from looking at the car,with ac and v8,auto.....thats my guess anyway.my 71 demon has b1 then the last 6 digits of vin in package tray.

Thanks for the info.... that is a huge help..... but was just wondering how you can tell the code info from the pics i posted. I'm not doubting you at all I'm just intrigued.... So if it was a sport hardtop I would assume it was a 340 duster with a 318. I was reading that the 340 package could be ordered with the 318. BTW Thanks for all the help all of you guys have been great and I am pumped about getting this MOPAR put together. :burnout:

Looks like a nice project!

Not sure how licensing and registration works in GA, but I know that here in California you might have a hard time getting that car registered. At the very least it would require an inspection, and more than likely they'd assign it a new California ID number which they would unceremoniously rivet to several conspicuous locations. If all the partial VIN's match it would still be registered as a '71, but it would be under the new ID number and not the original VIN.

If it were me, before I spent any money/time on building it up I'd make sure that I could get it registered. Could be a pretty serious headache. Or maybe none at all, it really depends on the DMV and laws in your state. But you should definitely make sure you can register it before you spend too much money on it, just in case.

Thanks for the info.... that is a huge help..... but was just wondering how you can tell the code info from the pics i posted. I'm not doubting you at all I'm just intrigued.... So if it was a sport hardtop I would assume it was a 340 duster with a 318. I was reading that the 340 package could be ordered with the 318. BTW Thanks for all the help all of you guys have been great and I am pumped about getting this MOPAR put together. :burnout:

He likely used this vin decoder built into the fabo website http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/decode_vin.php or similar.

This is what info I came up with ( Vehicle Identification Number: vh29g1b270515
Vehicle Model: Valiant/Duster/Scamp
Vehicle Class: High Price Class (Scamp, Satellite Sebring, Satellite Custom, Barracuda)
Vehicle Body Style: 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Vehicle Engine: 318 CID/230 HP 2 BBL V8
Vehicle Year: 1971
Vehicle Assembly Plant: Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
Assembly Sequence Number: 270515 )

When i bought my duster a few years ago, I had some troubles do to the guy I bought the car from could not get me a title for it.

I finally contacted my local sheriff and he told me of a way to go about it that was not made common knowledge to most people ( even the secretary of state looked at me like "how do you know about this" when I walked in and told them what i needed).

Here in MI I had to go to secretary of state and ask for a form TR-205 which is basically an application for michigan title ( not a lost title or a duplicate title or a salvage title......an application for a new clean title).

All I had to do was give them the vin number......sit down and wait 15 minutes while they ran the vin to make sure it was not stolen or anything. Then when it came back clear I had to fill out the form which asks basic info ( name address ....etc...etc... and vehicle info such as vin#,year,make,model). Then I gave them $15.00 for the fee charged for the form, then $5.00 more for an instant title fee. so it cost $20.00 to walk out with my title that day.

I am not sure if where you live what a similar form would be called or if one is even available to you....but it is worth checking into anyhow.

hope that helps.

looks like a nice solid project. lots to do....but solid. good luck!

hey welcome to fabo,great car, if you get the title cleared up, i have a lot of the glass for this car & fender's ect...get a hold of me and we will talk...i say go for it *

Thanks Duster Dude....that is a big help. I live in Ga and will find out Monday the deal on the title. Acdragon I will def be getting in touch. The door glass is there and works but I need the rear quarter and back glass and of course the windshield. You guys have been so much help on this and it is appreciated. I got the 71 Duster and the motor and trans is out of a 74 so I got some good bones to work with. I only paid 350 for the car, motor and trans.....

i didn't know the site had a vin decoder...i used the one in my head.i think you got a good deal on it though.....350$
looks like a very good start.i also have a pile of duster parts,pms me with your needs.
mike

Make sure you can register it before doing anything.......good luck with your project

Make sure you can register it before doing anything.......good luck with your project

Agreed, would be a huge bummer to get time and money invested in the car and THEN find that there is an issue with getting everything legal.

Got fenders, hood and grill. They came off a 73 but I got fenders, hood and grill ....lol :blob:

Attachments

• 1212 001.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 1212 002.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 128
Welcome to FABO!

You will enjoy it here. Great people and information.

Enjoy the ride!

We love the pictures - Good luck with the project...

Ma Snart

Attachments

• DSC09649.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 102
-
Back