71 duster slant six conversion to 340/727

-

b5duster340

Reaction score
I have the 340 engine (hooker headers) ,727 trans, 8 3/4 rear, leaf springs, throttle/trans linkeage figured out. I have a few more questions not %100 on. Here goes: Can I drop the engine in with headers installed? Should I install Trans after I have engine in or can I drop in together? Do I need a drop centerlink? Do I need to replace engine wire harness. Do I need a different trans crossmember ? thanks for your help

the trans cross member should be the same. I did the swap with a 904 and used the same cross member. for the engine mounts I used a converson kit. for the headers depends on the brand. tti is best. doug is good. and hooker is pocket book isnt very deep. they can be hard to put on. I will post a picture of what u have to do with the steering center linkage on the drivers side. oh and take the head studs off. it will make it alot easier to put the headers in.

I Always do motor and trans together. Usually I am pulling both to add parts though. Also I had the headers sitting in hooked up before I put my motor in for the first time. I run hooker headers and it is a PAIN. Also get a mini starter. And you will need the drive shaft cut down. It's not the simplistest operations but then again I have done worse. Good luck and make sure not to hit anything expensive when you throw your wrenches.

-
Back