71 duster twister restore (lots of pictures)

-

amh70043

Reaction score
hello everyone. im back workin on the cars. this one is a 71 duster twister /6 in b5 blue. im keeping the six and the color ..... this car was solid when i bought it only has 1 rust spot:cheers:. the transmission was broke when i got it so i went out and got a new one once i pulled the trans i figured i repaint the engine so i pulled that and once i did that i figured id redo the entire engine bay....Snowball Effect. after the engine bay is complete ill probably work on the trunk area and then the door jambs then the interior and finally get it painted. this is what the car looked like when i got it.

DSC00696.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

went to harbor freight and bought a sandblast cabinet to clean the small parts .... then i took the car outside and wire wheeled and sandblasted the engine bay..... HARD WORK.

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00991.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

That blue on blue is looking nice, don´t know if I´ve ever seen it before.
Sweet looking Duster. :thumbup:

thanks for the kind words guys. its b7 dark blue metallic interior with gb5 exterior. the reason why im keepin it a six cylinder is it was built on 3/18/1971 in Hamtramck.....and its a twister package A51. i also have a Demon with A59 sizzler package that is a 318 car...that one was built on 3/19/1971 in Hamtramck. so once i complete both of them they will be a piece of history one day apart builds on 2 diffrent lines from the same location. my avatar is the sizzler.

Looks asthough it had been repainted at some point.....I notice the blue overspray on the wiper motor and heater core lines.

did you comb the body over with a magnet before buying and check and make sure there isnt anything hidden under that paint?

either way,nice ride and good luck!

and if you ever want to sell your grille or trade it for a mint valiant style duster grille plus some cash let me know LOL

yep its been repainted .....it came with white side stripes and a blackout hood and that is what im going back too.

also no i didnt comb the body over when i initially bought it....i got it at the local auto auction for 1200 dollars as the winning bid.:cheers: ended up paying 1400 after taxes. combed it over later. its good to go.

that appears to be quite a score for $1400. I wouldhave done the fill the tank up & drive mentioned above-- thanks for the photos-- Curious to see it finished, Lawrence

also no i didnt comb the body over when i initially bought it....i got it at the local auto auction for 1200 dollars as the winning bid.:cheers: ended up paying 1400 after taxes. combed it over later. its good to go.

for that price I would have chanced it too!

good score lol.

I see why you would want to strip down an already nice car.

some people want the car as it was originally and some people "like me" like to take pride in making there car what it is rather than driving "someone elses car"

keep up the good work and it will pay off!

Thats a clean car,nice find.. being as its a twister it should have a 8 3/4 correct...

negative on the 8 3/4 a 225 and 904 theres no reason to put a 8.75 under there ....that would be like putting a jet engine on the wrightbrothers airplane. no need:-D

another note. maybe your thinking of the 72 twisters. they were 340's which would require tthe 8 3/4

negative on the 8 3/4 a 225 and 904 theres no reason to put a 8.75 under there ....that would be like putting a jet engine on the wrightbrothers airplane. no need:-D

you would be surprised as to how many cars i have seen that came with a 6cyl and a 8 3/4 rear. even front and rear sway bars.

i agree all the 71 twisters were 318 or 6 but in 72 they did too have 340 twisters

-
Back