71 Mopar appraisal needed - NW Florida near Destin

-
I blame the current paint failure on the fact that I kept the car under a series of car covers. The covers allow some rain water to come thru and then they hold in the water for a long while. I’ll never use a cover again and, with the loss of my covered parking space, that is why I’m not repainting the car and keeping it. (I did finally get an estimate of $10k from a local body shop.)

I'm not trying to start anything but, if you want a honest appraisal then you also need to be as honest as you can. Your first post says "fully original" and most people take that as paint, interior...etc. The car is far from "fully original". It's had the seats fixed, floors (excuse me here) butchered and, the body was painted. The floors and the fact the car needs painted REALLY effect the value. IMO.

I started this thread asking for advice on how/where to get an appraisal. Sorry that the paint change was not mentioned up front. Seemed obvious to me that a 50 year old car would be repainted and have (or need) new upholstery. Mine sure did. By 1989 the original Por Red was turning pink and the black hood was streaking. I drove that car to work daily for 30 years and have just kept it running in recent years with most driving limited to cooler weather since I’m in FL with no AC. I’m only interested in selling the car at a fair price to someone that will treat her well and, perhaps, take care of the issues that I’m not equipped to do myself and don’t want to pay a third party for a professional restoration. My goal has been to keep my car looking decent, safe to drive, and reliable to drive. Never intended to fix it up to meet standards for a car show. In its current condition, I still enjoy getting honks, smiles, and thumbs up pretty much every time I take her out for a drive. If I can find a way to regain access to a covered parking spot - I won’t sell it.

I was pretty sure you mentioned a repaint fairly early on.

If I wasn't 3/4 of the state away, I'd come look at it.

I was pretty sure you mentioned a repaint fairly early on.

If I wasn't 3/4 of the state away, I'd come look at it.
I was fortunate enough to meet Ken and his wife yesterday and they are very nice people. I liked the car itself very much also. It's not often you get to talk to the original owner of one of our cars that's had it since new.
Steve

The PO might not obtain an appraiser thru this thread, but he will learn how to list it for sale accurately. Lots of good pics and through details will get it sold.

I started this thread asking for advice on how/where to get an appraisal. Sorry that the paint change was not mentioned up front. Seemed obvious to me that a 50 year old car would be repainted and have (or need) new upholstery. Mine sure did. By 1989 the original Por Red was turning pink and the black hood was streaking. I drove that car to work daily for 30 years and have just kept it running in recent years with most driving limited to cooler weather since I’m in FL with no AC. I’m only interested in selling the car at a fair price to someone that will treat her well and, perhaps, take care of the issues that I’m not equipped to do myself and don’t want to pay a third party for a professional restoration. My goal has been to keep my car looking decent, safe to drive, and reliable to drive. Never intended to fix it up to meet standards for a car show. In its current condition, I still enjoy getting honks, smiles, and thumbs up pretty much every time I take her out for a drive. If I can find a way to regain access to a covered parking spot - I won’t sell it.
Caint ya just build one?

20211025_161825.jpg

I want you to understand that in no way was I taking a shot at you at all. I just think that reading an ad from the original owner call the car "fully original" lead me and, I'm sure a few others to believe the paint, interior, etc...was original. That's all I'm saying..car looks cool and, I really hope you find a way to keep it. It's definitely not common to have one of these cars still with the original owner.

I apologize for having (unknowingly) been misleading. As I think about it - the car color is listed in the stamp sheet that I found under the rear seat. This forum has been a great service to me over the years as I blunder thru troubleshooting and repairs. I appreciate the good feedback and advice that members have generously shared and I hope that this time next year I have reason to continue using it. I've learned the hard way that it often doesn't pay to take the car to a shop to get repairs. Most of the local mechanics have become unfamiliar with older cars and they don't have a clue how to fix them. This web site is the closest thing I have to a neighborhood mechanic.

My car shelter problem is due to the fact that my property is adjacent to Air Force property. The security fence is about 85 feet from my house but their property (open and unused) is less than 10 feet from my house. I've parked there for 28 years with no issues. Someone didn't have anything important to do during Covid so they decided to write me a letter telling me to have all my stuff off of their property by 7 March. That's why the side of my house looks like a junk store and, since the picture, the car cover came down and I'm having to park a car outdoors.

Last edited:
IMHO - In selling the car, remember the car is worth what someone is willing to pay and you only need one buyer. As long as you are up front about everything you know about the car, then advertise for a higher price than you expect to get (a price that would make you really happy if you got that much). That gives you room to come down some and make a deal without feeling like you got cheated out of the car.

The collector car world. If you had a car anyone would admit was worth $10,000, and you ask $4000, someone will offer you $2000. And want you to delver and throw in some extra parts!! :thumbsup::BangHead::steering:

IMG_9218 (1).jpg

IMHO - In selling the car, remember the car is worth what someone is willing to pay and you only need one buyer. As long as you are up front about everything you know about the car, then advertise for a higher price than you expect to get (a price that would make you really happy if you got that much). That gives you room to come down some and make a deal without feeling like you got cheated out of the car.
I fully agree with both of you.

That is the insurance value to replace with as close as possible at retail price.

...and incentive for you to pay them more.

IE- buying from a specialized classic car dealer.

I value cars like I value houses, in part by using "comps".

Is this car a "comp" for yours?

[FOR SALE] - Gold 1972 Duster 340 Stockton, CA

Does the fact that it is a 340 car and in original paint, equalize with the fact that your car is a factory manual transmission car?

IDK, but it's starts a "ballpark" value, however, it also depends on if that is a selling price.

I'd not base my valuation on a single comp car (the more, the better, and the more simiar, the better), but it's someplace to start.

Wow, I guess you should be thankful they dont back charge you for 28 years of storage lol:poke:
My car shelter problem is due to the fact that my property is adjacent to Air Force property. The security fence is about 85 feet from my house but their property (open and unused) is less than 10 feet from my house. I've parked there for 28 years with no issues. Someone didn't have anything important to do during Covid so they decided to write me a letter telling me to have all my stuff off of their property by 7 March. That's why the side of my house looks like a junk store and, since the picture, the car cover came down and I'm having to park a car outdoors.

I value cars like I value houses, in part by using "comps".

Is this car a "comp" for yours?

[FOR SALE] - Gold 1972 Duster 340 Stockton, CA

Does the fact that it is a 340 car and in original paint, equalize with the fact that your car is a factory manual transmission car?

IDK, but it's starts a "ballpark" value, however, it also depends on if that is a selling price.

I'd not base my valuation on a single comp car (the more, the better, and the more simiar, the better), but it's someplace to start.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll do some homework on that.

-
Back