71 Mopar appraisal needed - NW Florida near Destin

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for someone who could give a solid appraisal of my 1971 Twister Duster
F185BDCD-7E4F-49DB-A859-D21ED55DF209.jpeg
which probably falls into the category of “fair” condition. Could anyone advise me of a place within 50 to 100 miles of Destin FL where I could get a good appraisal? My car - a fully original 1-owner 318 with 3 speed manual that runs well and looks good from a distance - but in need of paint, refurbished instrument panel, etc.

I’m looking for someone who could give a solid appraisal of my 1971 Twister DusterView attachment 1715870937 which probably falls into the category of “fair” condition. Could anyone advise me of a place within 50 to 100 miles of Destin FL where I could get a good appraisal? My car - a fully original 1-owner 318 with 3 speed manual that runs well and looks good from a distance - but in need of paint, refurbished instrument panel, etc.
Call your insurance company. They may have someone who can come to you.

My insurance is with USAA - liability only - and I got the idea from them that they don’t really deal with older cars. Guess I’ll need to keep looking to find someone within my general area.

Are you needing an appraisal for insurance purposes? If so you can call or go on line with Haggerty Classic car insurance and insure it for an agreed price.If it were mine I would insure it for around 25k....maybe even 30k.I have 7k on my truck and 45k on my Bee.

20180707_160743 (1).jpg

20211009_164956.jpg

Nice looking Bee. I want an appraisal so I can advertise the car for sale for a price that comes from a reputable source. I honestly don't how to put a price on the car - the tools I've seen suggest $10800 and I can't imagine that a car needing a paint job and an instrument cluster referb should sell for that much. I hate to sell the car but I've lost my covered parking spot and the the trees in my yard make a mess on a car.

Nice looking Bee. I want an appraisal so I can advertise the car for sale for a price that comes from a reputable source. I honestly don't how to put a price on the car - the tools I've seen suggest $10800 and I can't imagine that a car needing a paint job and an instrument cluster referb should sell for that much. I hate to sell the car but I've lost my covered parking spot and the the trees in my yard make a mess on a car.
$10k for a running, driving, complete original car is not out of line IMHO. Try looking through some of the classified ads at what is for sale here and in your local area.

I think you are in the $10-15 range based on the picture, just as a guess. Prices have gone way up.

Shark tooth grille in good condition is $1000 - $1500 just by itself…..

Love the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area.

I’ve spent a few months over the years working at Eglin AFB at Mckinley Climatic Lab testing turbine engines to -40F.

That car looks to be worth more than 10k. I sold a 71 Duster original paint slant 6 rolling body for $7500.00 7 years ago. Prices have went way way up since then.Post more pics I am sure we could give you a better idea what it's worth.

My question is what is up with the trunk floor? Correct me if I'm wrong but, the trunk should be red like the rest of the car not painted with some grayish colored stuff. I also don't see any of the stamped parts in the trunk floor. It's almost like it's covered with fiberglass or something.

My question is what is up with the trunk floor? Correct me if I'm wrong but, the trunk should be red like the rest of the car not painted with some grayish colored stuff. I also don't see any of the stamped parts in the trunk floor. It's almost like it's covered with fiberglass or something.

The trunk appears to be shot with splatter paint - GM process for painting the trunk compartment.

Someone said that the car might be original paint - take a look at the door jam drivers side - the striker pin appears to have paint over spray.

The seats appear to be recovered with some type of insert rather than the factory material.

The rear bumper appears to be at least dull.

Overall the car looks decent from the photos provided - car needs closer inspection and to be driven into a area of decent sunlight and closeup photos need to be taken.

Also the fender tag, engine compartment, glass, grill, front bumper and undercarriage needs closeup photos in good lighting.

I lived there as a young man, till dad passed
It looks that way because it it covered with sheet metal and fiberglass. About 15 years back the car was not driven for a couple of years and leaks around the windshield and taillights led to rusting in the trunk and floor pans. I neutralized the rusted surfaces and used sheet metal and fiberglass to repair the rusted areas. Not pretty from the underside but strong and won’t rust. Someone doing a full restoration would want to replace the metal in these areas - but its solid and meets my current needs.

The trunk appears to be shot with splatter paint - GM process for painting the trunk compartment.

Someone said that the car might be original paint - take a look at the door jam drivers side - the striker pin appears to have paint over spray.

The seats appear to be recovered with some type of insert rather than the factory material.

The rear bumper appears to be at least dull.

Overall the car looks decent from the photos provided - car needs closer inspection and to be driven into a area of decent sunlight and closeup photos need to be taken.

Also the fender tag, engine compartment, glass, grill, front bumper and undercarriage needs closeup photos in good lighting.
I’ll address the comments above:
Splatter paint - yes. This was done after the sheet metal and fiberglass work mentioned in a previous post.
Original paint - No. Paint faded by late 80’s and I went from Por Red to Black w grey stripes. In 2012 - the car was stripped down to bare metal and given a nice paint job and new decals were applied. I was going to go back to Por Red but saw a new red Challenger in the neighborhood and I switched to the paint that it had. Not original but my wife and I really liked the newer paint.
Unfortunately - the engine compartment shows each of these paint colors.
Seat Covers - Correct again. Original material was failing and new gray panels were installed to go along with the gray/black paint job. These panels, while not original, have held up amazing well for over 30 years.
Dull bumpers - When painted in 2012 - the bumpers were not looking great. I didn’t find a good way to have them re-chromed so I resorted to chrome spray paint that looked pretty decent for years. The bumpers are still solid - never wrecked.
I’ll take pictures and post fender tag, etc. I previously posted a picture of the stamp sheet someplace.
This car was ordered in May 1971 and built the last week of June 1971. I’m pretty sure it was built during the last week of production and the factory may have used a couple of imperfect parts. There’s a small bend someplace around the edge of the hood. I’ve always supposed that they were scraping the bottom of the barrel that week.
My original assessment of the car was that it was in fair condition because of work-around done over the years for financial reasons. I did install new brake drums, brake shoes, and seat belts during the past year. (Saved the original belts but they are too stiff to adjust easily.)

-
Back