71 parts car 74 swinger project?

-

rustyswinger

Reaction score
Hi all I am 12 weeks into my build and I am just waiting to get my 74 swinger back from the media blaster.....

I have a line on a 71 parts car with a 360, (and drum front brakes....)

what do you say, will this complete parts car bolt up to my 74?

I know models changed a lot between 71 and 74.....but my 74 is a blank slate at this point, will all the front/rear suspension, K frame, mounts, tranny and Torsion bars all bolt on?

Any other mods I need to look out for?

thanks guys!

The differences include hood, fenders, front and rear bumpers tail lights, '71 has valences, interior parts will bolt in but are different in appearance, cardboard headliner vs cloth, grilles, '74 will have spool mount K frame whereas '71 has biscuit style, '74 has big ball joint upper A arm if it has discs, '71 has small ball joint upper A arm no matter what, different gauge clusters. There's more but you get the idea. Still worth having for parts though.

What kind of shape is the '71 in?

I think that a 73-76 year car would be better for a parts car for you...

Yes, all of the stuff mechanically and sheet metal from the doors forward will bolt on.
Honestly, i would build the car that is more rust free out of the two, regardless of having the '74 media blasted already.
BTW, the '71 will have small bolt pattern drum brakes on the front which in my opinion are junk.
At least go with the big bolt pattern front discs on the front with the modern steering components etc. Parts are a lot cheaper and plentiful for this as well as a lot better.
How about pics of both cars?
Just my 2 cents........
Tom.

Thanks Guys,

I havent picked up the parts car yet, was still deciding..

I will try and get a pic or 2 of my 74..... media blaster guy told me it was "near mint, compared to what he has seen"

I am a bit of a newby, made me feel pretty good about my choice in project.

I have already picked up fender patch panels, new trunk pan, and replacement rear quarters...... its a complete car now...

I really want to put a V8 into this thing, and the 71 looks like it has a strong drive train

-
Back