71 plymouth valient owner

-

Mr Hubba

Reaction score
I just purchased a 71 Plymouth valiant two door, looks like a dart with a valiant front end. I have known this car since it was new. Finally purchased it from daughter who inherited it. She stored it in barn for thirty years. Body is in great shape, have to replace brake lines, master cylinder, rebuild carborator, heater core, and gas tank. This car has slant six automatic with AC and power steering.

I tried to post picture of car. but no luck. Also would like to find best deal on gas tank for this car. I would like suggestions. Even though car body is excellent condition, gas tank is trash.

Try www.rockauto.com for a gas tank. You can most likely buy them through your local parts store as well. I use Lordco and Napa up here, they use a brand called Spectra which is Canadian. Great quality gas tanks.
I don't question why the body is good but the tank is bad, it sat for 30 years, probably with gas in the tank, rotting it away. You should replace your fuel line and all rubber hoses, fuel filter, and clean out your fuel pump or replace it too. It's probably full of varnish.

Welcome and thanks for saving a sweet a-body! Gas tanks....we are lucky now they are reproduced by Spectra, great quality, fast shipping and affordable. You probably will need a new sending unit too, mine looked like it was from the Titanic, I found a new one from an e-bay vendor.

Since I got the car, I have replaced gas tank, and brake master cylinder. My nephew the mechanic is rebuilding the carborator. I did drive car and it handles well. With rebuilt carb and intake gaskets, this car will be very road worthy. Looking forward to spring and driving everywhere. I keep having problems with login and attaching picture of car.. I would be interested in knowing what my car is worth. I have no plans to sell it, just curious of market value. Thanks guys, I took your advice on buying gas tank.

-
Back