714 heads

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
I was looking for a set of 302 heads at the junkyard and thought I'd found them. But they were 714's. After a bit of research, I have read that they are standard magnum heads. Now, from my point of view, they may or not be magnums and if they are, they sure ain't standard. 5 bolt hole valve cover; shaft rocker assembly, oil through the head. They may bolt to my block like a set of magnums but I haven't looked at my LA heads as of yet so I can't tell you how they bolt up.

Can anyone tell me about these heads? How do they flow? Should I pull a set of magnum rockers abs use the oil through pushrods or keep the oil through heads? Any idea what size valves these came with? The valves were tulip style, are nail head valves available?

Also, the pistons in the truck I pulled these heads from were completely flat except a small notch in front, and they came to the top of the block deck, I'm guessing they were high compression pistons. Here's a picture. We're can I get these pistons?

Thanks for any help

Hillbillybuddha

Welcome to FABO!

...here's one for ya. Apparently, they're the same head, just a different casting number

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=146460

Small chambers, runners, shrouded intake valve, fast burn chambers. They can be ported just like any other 318 head...if you're interested in that, look up Hot Rod's older article where Steve Dulcich ported a similar set out to 340/360 size runners, cut the seats for 1.88/1.60 valves, unshrouded the intake, and shaved them down to 57cc. They netted like 370 from a 318 with an off the shelf Comp cam, and some modest bolt-ons.

Those pistons are stock 318 fare for that era. Pretty much all 318s, minus a few early years, came with straight flat top pistons...and they would be higher compression ratio except it's probably about .040-0.080" in the hole...maybe 8.5:1 realistically.

stock valve sizes are 1.78/1.50, can be taken out to 340/360 2.02/1.60 if you want, but it would be silly to take them out past 1.88 intakes because of all the grinding you'd have to do to blend the bowl and the small ports would still be your bottle neck...

You may want to consider starting a thread ad introducing yourself in the welcome wagon area

TXStang84, thanks so much. I've been searching for over a week on half a dozen forums and hadn't found half the info you just supplied. I've been obsessed. I'll try looking for that hot rod article you mentioned above.

I thought about an intro, but I'm building a truck. I tried those forums first but didn't find any answers so I started looking at other forums that might know about the LA/Magnum heads.

I have been thinking about trying my hand at some mild porting. And maybe try unshrouding the valves but I've got a lot to learn about the process. I read somewhere that templates were made for porting magnum heads, but I couldn't find them for the the 318, only the 340/360. Any leads?

Also, one more question. Should I go with the Magnum rocker set up 1.6 or the LA shaft rocker set up 1.5

I read somewhere that templates were made for porting magnum heads, but I couldn't find them for the the 318, only the 340/360. Any leads?

The heads were the same between the 5.2/5.9 magnum, so the templates would be the same.

Also, one more question. Should I go with the Magnum rocker set up 1.6 or the LA shaft rocker set up 1.5

If you have non magnum heads the use the rocker shaft, you can't use the magnum rockers, they are pedestal mounted.

-
Back