72 340 electronic ignition

-

hockeydad1189

Reaction score
hi i have a 72 340 mildly upgraded i am looking to get rid of points , has any one used the pertronix ignitor 2 ,if so are they any good if not any suggestions

Many guys like Pertronix, that is one way to go. My attitude is, "whaa........ya.......do" IF it quits out in some "berg?"

This means you might want to buy TWO Pertronix kits so you have spares

I REALLY like my GM HEI module.

Stocker breakerless distributors are easy to get, good used, rebuilts are a crap shoot, several performance outlets sell various.

I'm using a stock Mopar breakerless dist and an HEI module. No ballast resistor, easy to wire up. I did not do anything fancy with mine. My 67 had a failing Mopar ECU when I got it (pot material melting) so I yanked it off, mounted the HEI on the firewall where the Mopar ECU had been

So the only "non stock" part you have in the system is the GM module, available cheap everywhere, and small and easy to keep a spare in the car.

Attachments

• HEIdiagram.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 131
I have a friend that has a 1968 427 Corvette. Never would run quite right. Had a Pertronix conversion in the original points distributor. Well I talked him into changing it over to an HEI, as he can pit it back in an hour or so to retain it's value. Well to make a long story short it runs ten times better!

Now I am no big fan of the HEI. I am a mopar man, and do not want a GM distributor on my car. Never liked the coil in the cap. But it works and works well for a lot of people. If I had a GM it would be the only thing I would run!!!

hi i have a 72 340 mildly upgraded i am looking to get rid of points , has any one used the pertronix ignitor 2 ,if so are they any good if not any suggestions

do not want a GM distributor on my car. Never liked the coil in the cap. !

I wasn't referring to a "GM distributor" rather simply replacing the Mopar ECU with a GM module. If you really wanted to be diligent, you could hide one inside an old ECU housing

I do like the way you did it! That is pretty darn slick! I have never seen it done that way.

I wasn't referring to a "GM distributor" rather simply replacing the Mopar ECU with a GM module. If you really wanted to be diligent, you could hide one inside an old ECU housing

Heck this wasn't my idea. All over the www. I first discovered this when I built the little Oliver Crawler with a Toyota 20R. I was looking for a simple way to operate the ignition (factory breakerless dist.) and there it was

posing with my Uncle, who just left us. A Marine who saw action on SEVERAL Pacific Islands, including Guadalcanal and Okinawa

14d1p9j.jpg

I love Oliver crawlers! I always wanted an OC3!!!!!

Sorry about the Uncle. All I can say is Semper fi!!!!!! My grand dad was all over the Pacific also. 1st CAV. If it were not for those brave men we may not be here on a computer now.

Sorry to be off subject.

-
Back