72 340

-

Lift&Move

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I need to draw on your expertise and knowledge...
I bought this motor a few years ago for my Swinger V8 swap.
I've heard that some of the late 340's were externally balanced.
Please take a look at the balancer on this motor...
Is this a sign of external balance?
Thanks

340.jpg

Hello All,
I need to draw on your expertise and knowledge...
I bought this motor a few years ago for my Swinger V8 swap.
I've heard that some of the late 340's were externally balanced.
Please take a look at the balancer on this motor...
Is this a sign of external balance?
Thanks

View attachment 1716201003

Yes, cast crank, external balance

Yup it's a cast crank balancer for sure. As long as everything else matches, it's a cast crank 340.

Can always pull the pan if in doubt. Some earlier 72 340s had forged cranks, mine did. But as noted above, yourd appears to be cast balancer.

Thanks for the responses...
Bought it off Craigslist about 3 years ago, and it happened to be about 30 miles from my brother's place in Minnesota, so he took delivery for me.
I haven't laid eyes on it yet, but I am planning a road trip here in a few weeks to pick it up.

If you decide you don't want it because it's a low compression, cast crank Motor I'll take it.

Yes as others have said. The 340 cast crank is decent too. Its not the same as a 318 cast crank and the balance is different then a 360. It is lighter than the forged crank and for a street car works just fine. I have one in my 340 that is neutral balanced.

That said, until you see the crank, it won't be a 100% guarantee its not forged. Someone could have needed a balancer, went by the year and got one for a cast crank and put it on.

True...
And as Divenut stated...the cast date is 02/72 if memory serves, so there could be a chance!
Fingers crossed

It has a externally balanced damper on it. There were 2 styles One with the weight out of the back and one with the weight added to the front like yours. I believe the difference was 4spd or auto. Does your motor have a bushing in the crank for 4 spd.

I hope it's a 4 spd crank, cause that's my plan!
I have two 4 speeds here on the floor....
One is 4.354 with issues, and one OD trans...5.125 input retainer.....
I'll find out here in a few weeks!
I appreciate y'all so much!

I had a 73 Rallye Challenger 340 when I was a kid. It had a cast crank 340 in it that got spun up to redline every time the key got turned....lol. It never gave one problem, so I wouldn't balk at a cast 340 crank at all unless I was building a very serious race motor that would get zinged out of its mind.

:thumbsup:

Dont sweat the cast crank, they are tough. The biggest drawback to the later 340 is the low compression. They still run decent but its night and day vs a high compression 340.

No plans for a race build....just want a strong running, hard pulling, fun to drive 340!
I owned a beautiful 73 340 Cuda for a brief period of time in 1991, it too was great running car, but had to sell it cause I needed a truck.
I am sure it was a cast crank engine too.

-
Back