72 and earlier disc brakes

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell if disc brakes were equipped with a single piston caliper or did they all come with a 4 piston kelsey hayes? This would be on a small ball joint and small bolt pattern a body. I checked several parts houses and they don't show a single piston only a 4 piston caliper. Thanks Jeff

There is a guy trying to sell a set of spindles and single piston calipers with upper a arms claiming them to be small bolt pattern. I would like to convert my car to discs with the small bolt pattern but I don't his parts will help me. What would be the best way for me to convert to disc brakes? Thanks for your help Duster Don.

There are still Kelsey-Hayes sets out there for sale. I have sold a couple of sets in the last few years. Parts are available, but not cheap. When right they are a great brake, too. I had to lay into mine hard last night and they stop great. Otherwise I would eaten the side of a white van that ran a red light.

Most people will try to convince you to switch to large bolt pattern, which is fine if that's what you want, but if you want to stick with smalll bolt pattern then the KH 4-piston ones are the way to go. They will just bolt right on, no fuss no mess. You will find lots of info about the swap on the net, but be careful because a lot of the articles are referring to the single piston large bolt pattern swap where you need to replace your upper a-arm, but with the KH ones you don't have to. Check the early a-body forum, you'll find lots there or even here

http://www.enbcom.com/cuda/tech/tom_condran/index.html

You can still get all the parts, maybe a little more expensive. Rotors are the hard part, but there's info here -> http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/1079.html

Good luck!

65s said:
Most people will try to convince you to switch to large bolt pattern, which is fine if that's what you want, but if you want to stick with smalll bolt pattern then the KH 4-piston ones are the way to go. They will just bolt right on, no fuss no mess. You will find lots of info about the swap on the net, but be careful because a lot of the articles are referring to the single piston large bolt pattern swap where you need to replace your upper a-arm, but with the KH ones you don't have to. Check the early a-body forum, you'll find lots there or even here

http://www.enbcom.com/cuda/tech/tom_condran/index.html

You can still get all the parts, maybe a little more expensive. Rotors are the hard part, but there's info here -> http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/1079.html

Good luck!

Given the choice, would you say that a set of original Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes would be better than let's say a new set of SSBC 5 x 4"bc. I am going to cnvert this spring and since I am not a mechanic I will have to rely on someone to do the work for me. I just want to get the best setup.

i have not found any KH setups available for my 69 GTS

Thanks
Chas

WOW --- Your '69 440 Dart is beautiful!

Since your car is really so original, I would suggest that you go to the original OEM Kelsey-Hayes 4 piston disc brake setup, available on all 1965 -72 A bodies.

If your car is factory drum, you will need the rotors, knuckles, spindle and the calipers.

Look in the early threads i posted in the Brakes section...You should find lots of info. on purchase of new calipers and rotors. Rotors are more difficult to find, but are available, just be patient in your search. Murrays Auto Parts is listed in this thread, thats one good source for factory rotors.

Also, if at first you don't find the rotors for your 1969 Dart, try looking for a 1970/71/72 Duster, or 71/72 Demon. Also, any other A body from 1965-72 will work.

There are parts available on the www.bigblockdart.com website, look there now for moparites selling entire sbc disc setups for your car. Also, try Ebay.

But most important...if at first you don't succeed, don't give up, try other sources. Rock Auto also sells on Ebay, and I have seen these rotors for $63 each at the BIN (buy it now) price.

Beautiful car!

When I bought my '67 Barracuda, the guy threw in a set of front disc brakes taken off a Dart. I got a set of upper control arms from a guy in Canada, and we started to work on things this weekend. As it turns out, the upper control arms are from a '76 car, and the disc brakes have the KH 4 piston set up, so the parts are incompatible. We are going to try to rebuild the KH set up. That way, I will keep the small bolt pattern and use my current wheels.

A guy from the Early Valiant and Barracuda Club mailing list went with the Stainless Steel Brakes swap and found the calipers interferred with his original 14" steel wheels, so he had to change over to rallyes. I believe they come drilled for small bolt pattern or large which is pretty cool, but for the cost I think you can get a KH setup cheaper and then you're not stuck with proprietary parts should you need to replace something. I kinda like keeping things somewhat original or all Mopar anyways. Just my opinion....

Oh ya, I've seen good rebuildable KH setups for $60 at Carlisle. A guy I know sold a set for $150 and I got a completely rebuilt set with rotors for free with some other parts I bought. I also paid $700 for a completely rebuilt set that is on my Barracuda now (before I knew what I was doing), so you just have to shop around to get a deal or pay big money if you want for something ready to go.

the reason his steel wheels interfered was that they were DRUM brake wheels not DISC brake wheels. they will work just fine with the correct steel wheels. the SSBC kit take the same pads as original calipers(D11) as well as they mimic them almost exactly, nothing proprietary there. remember, mustang and corvette calipers were VERY similar. they are also stainless steel sleeved which is way better than og KH calipers that aren't, unless they have been rebuilt.

Does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for Kelsey Hayes brakes? We got the pistons freed up today, so we're going to use them. I'll also need shoes and rotors. I followed the link for rotors, but what about shoes?

Rebuild kits for the 4 piston K-H calipers are widely available including Rock Auto, Murrays and others. Look through earlier posts, from September to current and you will find the correct info. for ordering the K-H kits from parts houses.

Hard parts and other items are available from any Mustang resto supplier as the calipers are nearly identical to the 65-67 Mustang units.

I got in touch with Calipers Online and they seem to be a good place. If I send in my calipers, they will send me a rebuilt set for $120.00. The pistons will be OE (chrome plated aluminum) and carry a one year warranty. For $220.00 they will send a rebuilt set with stainless pistons that carry a lifetime warranty.

I also called B & W Brakes in Kansas City. They build after market Kelsey-Hayes style calipers. They have been building them since 1993. The guy on the phone told me they sell 100 of these every week to various garages and parts stores. They want $160.00 for a set of brand new brakes. They also sell rebuild kits for $30.00 each. The kits include pistons, O rings, and boots. He said he would throw in the transfer tube for an extra $5.00.

Any opinions on which way to go?

-
Back