72 and up side marker lights on a 70 fender

-

jmwuva05

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 72 duster that had the front fenders pie crusted and trimmed in the corners for oversize tire clearance. The pie crusting was done rather roughly and led to some rusting of the turned in tabs to the point where some have broken off. I have some 1970 fenders that are solid and would like to use them. The marker lights would obviously be different than the rear ones on the quarter panels. Has anyone ever used 1972 and up marker lights on the older fenders? I would assume the recess would have to be filled as the later side markers are thinner top to bottom.

yes.

I bought AMD fenders. They only offer 70-71 now and expect you to fill the hole for 72. We filled the hole with a plate then used the old fenders as a template to cut the surface mount opening. Note, they are in different locations. 70-71 is below the body line, 73+ is above.

IMG_0680.jpg
'

Edit: Mine is a Dart

Nice work! that was what I was imaging would have to be done. Did you make the template directly out of the old fender or did you trace it along the body line onto poster board or the like?

Nice work! that was what I was imaging would have to be done. Did you make the template directly out of the old fender or did you trace it along the body line onto poster board or the like?

We used the old fender and a piece of template board. placed the board on the body line and forward to the front edge and covering the marker holes. then traced onto the board. Cut the openings out of the board then laid the template on the AMD fender and traced the openings to be cut.

Excellent I have 2 1970 fenders which are in substantially better shape and this seems like a good way to not have mismatched marker lights

An air file will make quick work out of making the triangle opening for the new lights.
What part of VA are you in? If you close enough you can drop by and I would be happy to help you out.

An air file will make quick work out of making the triangle opening for the new lights.
What part of VA are you in? If you close enough you can drop by and I would be happy to help you out.
Way down on the end near Tennessee thanks for the offer though! As the 72 duster lights are in the same place as opposed to the dart being above the body line I think I could fabricate the filler plate for the larger 1970 hole with the holes for the 1972 in it and keep everything overall straight. The tabs for the 1970 lights could also help support a filler panel I think.

Way down on the end near Tennessee thanks for the offer though! As the 72 duster lights are in the same place as opposed to the dart being above the body line I think I could fabricate the filler plate for the larger 1970 hole with the holes for the 1972 in it and keep everything overall straight. The tabs for the 1970 lights could also help support a filler panel I think.
That’s what we did for the rear. On the Dart quarter, the marker lights are in the same spot but obviously the openings are different. We cut the marker light openings out of the bad quarters and welded them in the 70-71 marker light opening

8B9F69EE-D3CB-41AA-918A-126B6D98F1AA.jpeg

I will have to do the same type of repair when I replace the quarters on my 71. AMD no longer makes the 70-1 duster quarters only 72 +. When I make a patch panel I sheet metal screw the new metal over the old then cut both at the same time with the wheel at a 45 degree angle. Remove the sheet metal screw and weld the holes shut. By cutting both pieces at the same time you end up with a perfect patch with a nice tight gap to stitch weld to. The photos are of my buddies blazer I’m working on, I don’t own chebbys. As you are likely aware take your time welding and keep the panel as cool as possible to avoid warping your panel.

CD0ECCC0-3A21-41A1-A01B-2CA4E95595A2.jpeg

C4B2ECBE-1DE0-436C-88A6-0825EDEA6D66.jpeg

90631B3E-9CA0-4F6A-8EF2-790A46061C2D.jpeg

-
Back