72 Dart acts like low battery but will start at relay

-

friesza

The Machinist
Reaction score
Weird issue that popped up after new cam install.
After getting all broke in I shut it down to do several checks....went to restart and acted like battery was almost dead...ie clicking starter.
Checked voltage and was fully charged....so I jumped at the relay and fired right up...anyone else have this issue?
Let it sit for a few hours and will start off of key....could it be a loose connection or maybe a bulkhead wire getting hot...only does it when car has ran for awhile...

so I jumped at the relay and fired right up.
when you say jumped the relay you mean battery terminal on relay to starter terminal on relay?

If so the contacts in your starter relay might be bad too much resistance, cheap fix.

when you say jumped the relay you mean battery terminal on relay to starter terminal on relay?

If so the contacts in your starter relay might be bad too much resistance, cheap fix.

Battery terminal on relay... I was thinking maybe the relay as when I bought at chain store it said made in china....didn't even think it could be heat soaked....or just plain bad...

Next time try removing the yellow (in 1967) wire and providing 12v to it on the relay. That will test the relay by eliminating the ignition switch. If it starts then there is an issue between the relay and the ignition switch and back to the battery. Or the NSS side of the circuit.

B is from battery and from Alternator (via ammeter (1967)
S is to starter
G is to NSS (ground)
I is from ignition (yellow wire in 1967)

27206-8cd42c58b3b180faab608c31ca41ef69.jpg

Get a remote starter switch
410SA74Z5QL._AC_SS450_.jpg

And put it between the I terminal and the battery plus.

You might also want to get a jumper to jumper from the G terminal to battery negative (be sure car is in PARK or NEUTRAL, with the parking brake on)

This little test will pinpoint your issue,

If remote starter starts fine after a clicking attempt. The relay is fine and the NNS is fine. It is the ignition switch or wiring

If the remote start gives you a clicking event then jumper the G terminal to ground. If it starts, the NSS or wiring is at fault.

If the above still produce a clicking event then the relay is at fault.

This is all based on the simplicity of a 1967. The later years introduced seat belt interlocks and other lovely "safety" features.

BUT the above should point you in the correct direction to start tracing out wires

-
Back