72 Dart, mini tub, narrow rear, spring relocation

-

96bansheepilot

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to mini tub, narrow the rear axle and relocate the springs for max clearance. Also looking to move the axle rearward an inch or so.

With the spring relocation kit that allows different mounting points, am I able to move the axle rearward an inch with no issues. Is it as simple as just mounting the leafs in a different hole and adjusting the rear mounting point?

Also, looking to run a 325/50/15 with a 15x10 wheel with 3.5" backspacing to give the wheel a deep look to it. I don't believe this would be an issue since I'm narrowing the rear end to the specific width right? I could run a 4.5bs but if I'm able to just narrow the rear even more for the 3.5bs, I would like to do that. I just don't want to run into problems with the tire hitting the spring.

Last question, The springs on the car are factory, I'd like to run a pretty stiff spring in the rear. My dads super bee is very stiff in the rear and I love the way it feels. I don't want the rear end to have much suspension travel in fear of any tire rub. Should I get some stiffer springs for the rear or just do the mods and see how it comes out. I can always get the springs later.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I have been screening the forums looking for the correct info but have not seen anybody that I can say "Hey thats the set up I want to run" close but always a different backspace or car or suspension set up. Thanks a mill!!!!!

PS. The fabricator doing the work is an absolute master his work is unreal but I don't want to go in his shop and not know exactly what I want.

I know this subject gets old but thought I'd just throw the direct ?'s out there.

-Paul

I moved my rear bac 1/2 inch and moved the front lower well front 3/4. I amm sort of glad I didn go an inch . My tires just touch the rear of the well ocaisionally when turning up a hill. You also get close to the Factory fuel tank

Attachments

• DSCF0090.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 2,848
I,ve done the mintub,3 inch spring relocation.I alos moved my rear back 1 inch to fit a 29x15x12 slick.My Dana housing end to end is 46 5/8 wide,without axels,brakes.(10x2 1/2 brakes)It,s tight with 15x12 rim 4.5 b.spacing.I should,ve went with 15x10 to be safe,but I have no rubbing(it,s real close)This is on my skinny 66 Dart Early-A.:burnout:
I have 3 tips before you start this job,measure,measure,measure.:thumrigh:
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 359.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 365.jpg

View attachment DSC4575-L.jpg

I mini tubbed and relocated the springs inboard on my Scamp. I did not move the axle back, just trimmed off the front of the rear wheel well. Then made it look like the factory fender lib.

Attachments

• 100_0499.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,527
I,ve done the mintub,3 inch spring relocation.I alos moved my rear back 1 inch to fit a 29x15x12 slick.

Is moving the axle back as easy as moving the point at which the front mount of the leaf spring is mounted. Couldn't I just essentially move the leafs to a more rearward mounting point in the front box, then the rear shackles would just swivel back to compensate? Or am I missing something. Thanks for all the help and time. It really sets me at ease because it seems as if I have all these ?'s in my head. Thanks a million!
-Paul

Here is the project

DSC04676.jpg

im also doing the mini tub and spring relocation. i just took the 7 1/4 rear diff out of my 69 dart this afternoon so i can start on the mini tub. i have an 8 3/4 housing im going to narrow to fit what ever wheels i end up getting. for the leaf relocation are you gonna get a kit or kind of build your own? i was thinking of doing my own but i think the kit is only around $100 or so.

I'm going to get the kit, definitely. Also I'll get the kit with the different mounting locations for the front spring mount, pre-drilled. I've also seen that there are some kits that have thin sheet metal that is used for the front box. I don't want to skimp on the quality and I don't think it's worth building a set of boxes for the front. In my opinion it is kind of a cheap kit as far as car mods go.

To move the rear end back, I just drilled a new locating hole 7/8" forward on the spring perches, that way you don't mess with the spring travel. With the extra 7/8" I can use 29" tires easily.

If you move the rear back, you need to consider the trans yoke engagement. May need to lengthen the d/s pending how far the rear is moved.

well thats a better looking kit than the one i was looking at. altho the one i was looking at does have the rear shackles. but the frame boxs on this one look to be about twice as thick. that was my concern about the other kit. i only have my originas 7 1/4 rear drive shaft so ill probably have one made up for my 8 3/4 that will be the right length.

and ya drilling another hole in the spring perch might be easier than moving the shackle mount.

well thats a better looking kit than the one i was looking at. altho the one i was looking at does have the rear shackles. but the frame boxs on this one look to be about twice as thick. that was my concern about the other kit. i only have my originas 7 1/4 rear drive shaft so ill probably have one made up for my 8 3/4 that will be the right length.

and ya drilling another hole in the spring perch might be easier than moving the shackle mount.

Just use your old shackles and put new bushings in them. They do offer it three different ways. http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=276
The one is kind of nice because it comes with the tube to go through the frame rail.

are the shackles the same for the 7 1/4 and 8 3/4? mines a slant 6 car converting to v8

Where are you guys drilling the hole through the rear portion of the frame for the rear of the leafs? There is a hole there already that many are using. But, I would think that it would have to go further back when moving the rear?

i am in the process of mini tub, inboarding my leafs, and 325/50/15s on my duster.. those tires are a very tight fit especialy if you car sits low.. im modifying my outer wheel house on each side to not rub..

Where are you guys drilling the hole through the rear portion of the frame for the rear of the leafs? There is a hole there already that many are using. But, I would think that it would have to go further back when moving the rear?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10528&highlight=shackle+angle

Need to set it up so you have the correct angle on your rear shackles. MP chassis manual has good info on it but am sure you can find that info on line some where.

Got the narrow, wheels/tires, axles, brakes, springs, shocks, minitub done! came out great! here ya go!

0513121652.jpg

0512121345c.jpg

0518121917.jpg

0512121345b.jpg

0512121345a.jpg

0512121345.jpg

0512121018.jpg

Axle.jpg

Tub.jpg

BEFORE........
0428121237b.jpg

0428121237a.jpg

0428121237.jpg

0428121236.jpg

0428120828.jpg

What back space wheel is that? How wide was your rearend flang to flange?

Is there any way of getting the car lower without scrubbing?

So, how far did you move it back, and how did you do it?

-
Back