72 Dart, mini tub, narrow rear, spring relocation

-
What back space wheel is that? How wide was your rearend flang to flange?

Is there any way of getting the car lower without scrubbing?

The rear end was narrowed 3", I believe, on each side. I can't tell you the flange to flange right now, but if I get the wheels off in the future, I'll try to measure it. I'm putting in a 4 speed in a couple weeks. ;)

It is a 15x10 w/ 4.5 backspacing. I wanted to go to 3.5" bs but didn't think I'd have the room. I'm glad I stayed w/ the 4.5. They fit nicely.
There is plenty of room to lower the car a little more. I have one more adjustment hole to go to on the front brackets to lower the rear of the car. The pinion angle will be checked again after that.

So, how far did you move it back, and how did you do it?

I had Jimmy's rod and custom in Daytona, FL do the work. Jimmy has tubbed a bazillion vehicles before and narrowed a ton of rear ends so it was work as usual for him to do a great job. He stated that the centering pins on the SS Mopar spings are already a tad bit further to the rear than the stock springs. You should be able to fine tune the location of the rear end with where the front box mounting point is. The further back, the further back the centering pin is. He is an excellent chassis man and he measures EVERYTHING.

Nice work!Your car looks much meaner with bigger meats on back.Personally I,d get new u-bolts when putting in the 4 speed.Yours look fairly rusty and are probably stretched.JMO.Happy Moparing!

Nice work!Your car looks much meaner with bigger meats on back.Personally I,d get new u-bolts when putting in the 4 speed.Yours look fairly rusty and are probably stretched.JMO.Happy Moparing!

Thanks buddy. Appreciate the comment and advice. Yeah, I have a fresh 0 miles rebuilt 833, new clutch, linkage, hurst shifter, floor hump etc. ready to throw in. Just gotta find the time to do it in the next coming weeks. My father is a Mopar guru and he is going to play a huge part in swapping the trannies. I have purchased all new pivot balls and z bar bushings etc. for it. CANT WAIT TO SLAM SOME GEARS! :burnout:

nice job! and where the hell did you get those awesome shackles?

Actually, I was going to use my old ones but Jimmy at "Jimmy's rod and customs" (Daytona) stated that the new springs have no rear eyelet bushings and that he could order and install a new complete set w/ shackles. So I told him to pull the trigger on it. He ordered them off a site but not sure from whom. I'll ask next time I see him. More to come soon. I'll keep you guys posted.

UPDATE: turns out he got them from Energy Suspension.

The car came out fantastic! Hat's off to Jimmy and his crew;) thanks for sharing, looking to do the same to my 72 Dart:)

can you install tail pipe
or need to dump the exhaust before the axles

YOu can. there are 2 ways to accomplish this. OVer the springs or use a different tank.

Attachments

• 20150430_150936.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 297
-
Back